A confidence misplaced? (26 Aug 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A confidence misplaced? (26 Aug 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:31 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0826.shtml

Stop digging CAA and Twyford!

More evidence that the Minister has no clue just how incompetent and incapable one of the departments he oversees actually is.

His advice that I should file a petition is clearly ludicrous, given that just such a petition was filed over four years ago and then magically vanished into thin air before being dealt with.

Perhaps the unspoken agendas are being allowed to usurp the processes that are meant to ensure fairness -- does Phil know this? Was Phil party to this, given that the Minister's office seems to be all in favour of tougher, not looser rules for drones and RC models.

Sorry but this is a *HUGE* "not good enough".

And why has my invitation to the seminar discussing the results of a hugely flawed survey conducted by CAA and the MoT apparently gotten lost in the ether of the Net? By design perhaps? Is there a risk that I might ask some embarrassing questions about the methodology and the results of the survey? Am I one party they'd rather sideline than deal with face-to-face in a public forum?

Why am I not surprised? I guess I should be flattered eh?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A confidence misplaced? (26 Aug 2020)

Postby Muz » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:43 am

Just letting you know, the link from todays article is taking us to yesterdays comments .... might wanna change that ;)
Muz

Postby jo2lo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:10 am

"it is being shot down by bureaucrats solely focussed on compliance and not risk."

Well d'uh, isn't that the definition of a bureaucrat?
jo2lo

Postby phill » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:15 am

aardvark_admin wrote:And why has my invitation to the seminar discussing the results of a hugely flawed survey conducted by CAA and the MoT apparently gotten lost in the ether of the Net? By design perhaps? Is there a risk that I might ask some embarrassing questions about the methodology and the results of the survey? Am I one party they'd rather sideline than deal with face-to-face in a public forum?

Why am I not surprised? I guess I should be flattered eh?

find the cc button luke

seriously
whatever you send to a minister send the same cc to the shadow minister

its less likely to get lost that way
and they hate being blindsided at q time

whatever you send to a govt department .. cc to the minister .. and hence cc the shadow .. same reason
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:39 am

Well I got an email from CAA this morning. Apparently so long as the registered letter is delivered it is assumed that I have been informed -- even if that delivery was to the wrong address (LOL).

I have emailed them back pointing out that they are in breach of the Privacy Act 1993 (principle 8 of section 6) which clearly states:
An agency that holds personal information shall not use that information without taking such steps (if any) as are, in the circumstances, reasonable to ensure that, having regard to the purpose for which the information is proposed to be used, the information is accurate, up to date, complete, relevant, and not misleading

Naturally I also suggested that since they got so many pertinent facts wrong, failed to meet the expectations for service that they themselves had set and have now violated the privacy Act by sending a letter to unrelated third parties, I can not have any confidence in the findings of their "investigations".

Of course I CC'd the minister on this email.

Let the saga continue!

"Broke into the wrong god-damned rec-room didn't ya" :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:33 pm

Ah... I got my address for the seminar today... except they've changed the tech from Skype (multi-platform) to MS Teams (MS platform).

This means that I'll be "read only" if I use my Linux system (which is the only one I have connected to the interwebs, for security reasons.

So nice that a government agency is so "inclusive" and acknowledges the importance of Open Source systems in this way -- NOT!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:38 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Ah... I got my address for the seminar today... except they've changed the tech from Skype (multi-platform) to MS Teams (MS platform).

This means that I'll be "read only" if I use my Linux system (which is the only one I have connected to the interwebs, for security reasons.

So nice that a government agency is so "inclusive" and acknowledges the importance of Open Source systems in this way -- NOT!

Bzzzt. Wrong. There is a Linux version of Teams :o . I'm using it now, just as crap/good as the MS one.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Well that's great... they mislead me again :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:27 pm

Geeze... now I remember why I steer clear of Microsoft software.

I downloaded the software and installed it. Created a sign-in account, confirmed with the email verification code and then it launched the application which asked me to sign in again which said I was signed in but not a member of Teams so directed me to a webpage which asked me to sign in AGAIN which started the application again which asked me to sign in and then gave me a 404 error.

Nothing I can do gets around this process... it's BROKEN!

It tells me I'm signed in but won't let me proceed until I sign in then it falls over. I've tried backing right out and I still get the same result.

Dog's breakfast!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:35 pm

did you try turning it off and turning it back on again
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Next

Return to Today's column