EVs are coming, ready or not (27 Aug, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

EVs are coming, ready or not (27 Aug, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:29 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0827.shtml

Why isn't the government waking up to the fact that EVs are the future and more than just being "a good idea", they're essential to protect the integrity of our economy from external forces that could cut off the supply of transport fuels and leave us immobile with just weeks of notice?

Could it be the lobbying of the oil companies?

After all, as can now clearly be seen in the case of our aviation sector, big money is quite capable of exerting massive control over the decisions made by government -- to the cost of those they are meant to serve :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: EVs are coming, ready or not (27 Aug, 2020)

Postby goosemoose » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:19 am

I'd look at EV's. I'm an edge case though. 30 minutes from town so every trip is going to be at least an hour. 2-4 hours to a major city, Palmy or Wgtn - can do that return on a full tank so would really need an EV with some good range.

I know see your problem with why the authorities won't listen to you. You need to be a "spokesman" for an "outfit". Get yourself a grand name. Mr Simpson, spokesman for IDC, International Drone Consultants, Caymen Islands or something. You may need a flash suit though :).
goosemoose

Postby psycik » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:25 am

It's good to see most manufacturers have got the memo. You Must have an EV.....oh really, what's the minimum we can get away with, some SUV/Crossover people mover....that'll keep the public happy.

For all this talk of evs, where are a hot hatches, performance wagons (or even sporty sedans), utes. For all teslas faults, as least they didn't start by pandering to the Soccer Moms with people movers and/or high center of gravtity SUVs
psycik

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:19 am

We bought our last ICE car about 4 years ago, and expect to replace it in 6-8 years. That replacement will undoubtedly be an EV. As for the 'drone' report, I had to chuckle at this
there was little evidence of incidents to suggest there was a "serious problem out there".

Ya think? :lol:
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby cjet » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:24 am

I own five cars that won a completion to travel the longest in a single charge of an electric battery. Mitsubiti FTO

They put a 400 kg battery in the hull. Skinny wheels pumped up over 100 psi. Around and around under 80 km/hr

2000 km on one charge. 899 laps of 2.4 km per lap in 24 hours in 1999 dec 19-20

Now I was asked to do the same thing again.

Put it back to electric from a v6two litre 200 bhP 8,000 rom all day at Lamont’s

So how will I fi it. https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/co ... il564.html

Well first but a writhed battery pack and make it into a trailer with a tow bar

Then run a wire to the motor bay

Inside is a Tesla technology connected to the old automatic gear box or manual gear box of front wheel dive.

Go fund me.

The same page Bannon wanted to build trump wall
cjet

Postby hagfish » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:28 am

The way our society is currently set up, the Government looks 90 days ahead. Anything beyond that is 'the distant future; here be dragons'. If it's not happening in the next 90 days, they'll announce some platitude, then tack a "...by 2050" on the end, and leave it at that. Just kick the can down the road. The broad adoption of EVs falls outside the 90-day window.

And that's how we like it, in a democracy. We have a special term for prime ministers who get too far ahead of the flock; 'Leader of the Opposition'. Since the government needs to respond to its public, it's up to us.
hagfish

Postby paulw » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 am

I'd buy an EV tomorrow that could do 400KM on a charge and costs the same amount as the equivalent ICEV. Not going to happen any time soon with the current pricing model.
paulw

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:01 am

paulw wrote:I'd buy an EV tomorrow that could do 400KM on a charge and costs the same amount as the equivalent ICEV. Not going to happen any time soon with the current pricing model.

True... but the gap is narrowing and as fuel prices rise (which they will) and once you factor in maintance, the gap is already surprisingly small.

Until the government decides to squeeze more profit out of its power-company SOEs that is :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:09 am

It doesn't look it but the Nissan Leaf fills the definition of a hot hatch. Certainly can out drag most things on the road. Actually I think the new Nismo spec Leaf looks very sporty with performance to match. At least compared to most fuel driven cars.
Malcolm

Postby Muz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:21 am

paulw wrote:I'd buy an EV tomorrow that could do 400KM on a charge and costs the same amount as the equivalent ICEV. Not going to happen any time soon with the current pricing model.

Yeah me too, unfortunately in NZ's low wage economy how many of us can afford $70,000 plus on said vehicle?????
Muz

Next

Return to Today's column