EVs are coming, ready or not (27 Aug, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: EVs are coming, ready or not (27 Aug, 2020)

Postby hagfish » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:24 am

paulw wrote:I'd buy an EV tomorrow that could do 400KM on a charge and costs the same amount as the equivalent ICEV. Not going to happen any time soon with the current pricing model.

It might be a while before you can get a used EV with the same performance as a thrashed-out Mazda Familia (recent WoF, one tyre a bit bald, doesn't like cold mornings, sorry about the dog dander). In fact, I doubt this will ever happen. This "I'll buy one when..." is fig-leaf of justification for a hard 'nope'. Many people do not want to lift a finger, and who can blame us? I'm not looking forward to our expensive, inconvenient future.

I suppose the correct place for the Government to be is somewhere in between the "sky if falling" brigade, and the "not now, not ever" brigade. As you suggest, Bruce, the media has a role to play in chivvying us along. Unfortunately, advertisers want frightened, impulsive people with limited critical faculties; and the media needs advertisers. One way or another, we get what we want...
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:26 am

It's interesting that I never fail to be amazed at the number of very "expensive" vehicles that pass by while I'm waiting to turn on to SH1 at the edge of town. There's a regular stream of Aston Martins, BMWs, Mercs, Porsches, etc. It's very clear that there are alot of folk in NZ who think nothing of throwing a six-figure sum at their transport purchase.

They must be mad -- or so rich as to not care.

I drive a 1994 Toyota ute with 300,000Km on the dial -- and I'm a happy camper. I'd not want the constant worry and cost of driving an expensive vehicle. Mind you, if I won lotto I might get the rip in the seat repaired (yeah, I'm kind of reckless with my spending sometimes) :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goldedge » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:38 am

aardvark_admin wrote:I drive a 1994 Toyota ute with 300,000Km on the dial -- and I'm a happy camper. I'd not want the constant worry and cost of driving an expensive vehicle. Mind you, if I won lotto I might get the rip in the seat repaired (yeah, I'm kind of reckless with my spending sometimes) :-)

Plenty of room on the back for some battery's then :-)

Perhaps electric conversions are the way to go?
goldedge

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:44 am

I'm a bit unsure about electric conversions.

For an EV to be really good (ie: the best possible range and efficiency), a boxy, heavy steel body and underpinnings are probably not the best option.

I'd love to build an EV using the latest composite technologies and with a shape that had a relatively low drag coefficient. That way you'd get maximum Kms per joule and better performance for a given power train.

Just throwing a bunch of batteries in the back of the ute does two things wrong:

1. it means the back of my ute is less usable (yes, I do use it)
2. it means I'm not going to get the best efficiency from the batteries/motors I put in.

Now Roddy, a regular here, came up with the idea of replacing the drum brakes on a conventional vehicle with brushless electric motors -- such that retrofitting an existing ICE vehicle would be a relatively simple process (if it has a manual gearbox so can be safely left in neutral). Perhaps there's a niche market for that, I don't know.

However, purpose-built strikes me as the better use of one's funds.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:56 am

I'm not a fan of The Vice but this is relevant to today's topic:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3aze ... is-upon-us
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby JonL » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:43 pm

hagfish wrote:The way our society is currently set up, the Government looks 90 days ahead. Anything beyond that is 'the distant future; here be dragons'. If it's not happening in the next 90 days, they'll announce some platitude, then tack a "...by 2050" on the end, and leave it at that. Just kick the can down the road. The broad adoption of EVs falls outside the 90-day window.

And that's how we like it, in a democracy. We have a special term for prime ministers who get too far ahead of the flock; 'Leader of the Opposition'. Since the government needs to respond to its public, it's up to us.

Yet China has 5, 10 and 15 yr plans to get things done, adjusting them to suit on the way, then the West screams foul when they become a powerhouse of infrastructure.....
JonL

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:07 pm

We could also plan further ahead if political parties were so adversarial and were prepared to put the interests of the nation ahead of petty politicking and taking the term "opposition" so literally :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Today's column