Eco-upgrading your car (20 Oct, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Eco-upgrading your car (20 Oct, 2014)

Postby George Tyler » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:55 am

There is a forum for this, http://ecomodder.com/ I have been on it for a while. I have 4 Priuses, and an old Toyota Estima that I have " ecomodded". It gets around 8L/100km on the open road and 10 around town, down from 10 and 15. Not huge, but it does make it a bit cheaper to run. the new cars are much better than the ones from 15 years ago, for one thing they cruise at 1500 rpm instead of 3000 rpm for old ones for similar engine size, or even bigger. Big problem doing this in NZ is the rules, for a lot of fuel saving mods you have to take it to a low volume certifier, and they want $500 a time.
George Tyler

Re: Eco-upgrading your car (20 Oct, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Yes, I fondly remember the days when there was no such thing as certification. We'd widen the wheels on our old bangers by splitting the rim and welding in a band of steel -- no worries!

A mate of mine even fitted a Morris 1800 front-end (engine, gearbox, driveshafts, wheels and suspension) to his mini -- that was a blast!

These days you can't even cut and polish the paint too much without needing to get your vehicle recertified :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Today's column