Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:57 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0828.shtml

Are we suffering from behavioural sink?

Is this what is driving the increasing levels of intolerance that are leading to discrimination, disharmony and even violence?

Is CV19 part of the planet's self-regulating mechanisms and will it (or subsiquent pandemics and/or war) bring the population density back to a more sustainable level?

And how about those plans to restrict, regiment and regulate those of us who fly tiny toys in our gardens?

Ah, the world would be a wonderful place, if it weren't for people ;-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby Ossified Location » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:07 am

Ever since I escaped the horror that was the enforced rote memorisation of unimportant dates that school called "history", I was surprised to find that I love the history of important things like the development of technologies, ideas, and societies.

Edmund Burke said "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it", but sometimes I feel that those who do know History are also doomed to repeat it, and they have the extra horror of knowing what they are trapped in.

History is ultimately a depressing realisation that humanity keeps repeating the same pattern:

1. A country or group has a technological breakthrough or an inspirational leader.
2. They prosper or grow.
3. later generations become complacent and/or corrupt. Self-interest rules.
4. the country or group overextends itself, and collapses or dwindles.
5. Another country or group has a technological breakthrough or an inspirational leader...

In my opinion our civilisation is now leaving stage 3 and heading into stage 4. But unlike previous stages, this episode of civilisation is not limited to a country or group, it is global. Where is the next cycle going to start? Where is Asimov's Foundation?

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: `Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear --
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

Percy Bysshe Shelley
Ossified Location

Postby phill » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:52 am

if the normal instruction given to the military is good enough for them
when clear and present danger is expected as the norm
why cannot the same be used for the law enforcement representatives
ie
do not fire unless fired upon ..
this leaves the time between someone presenting a firearm and using it as the cross over
rather than the present
where ... he might have been reaching for a firearm we could not see ... as the cross over

yes he did something stupid
did he deserve to be shot for it
i dont think so
i dont think they had the right or justification to have firearms pointed at him in that situation

to many of the present f ups in nz and the usa come down to the basic .. failure to correctly identify the threat

if flying a 5 grm drone is considered too dangerous without strict control
how is using a firearm on the off chance acceptable
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby hagfish » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:02 am

Pre-modern humans evolved with women each bearing about six children, of whom about four survived infancy, and about two survived to adulthood. The human population was very stable for millennia. By and large, adults had sharp eyes, straight teeth, and very effective immune systems. Rites of Passage were necessarily gruelling - "come back with a mountain lion pelt, or don't come back". My pet theory is that - by all-but removing selective pressure from our species - we are now in a position where we are multiple generations into a genetic/mutative spiral. Deleterous mutations no longer get weeded out - I am testament to that. 99% of us just shouldn't be here at all. Of course, there is no solution to this - at least - none that a society would ever willingly implement.

So here we all are, loaded up with drugs to regulate our emotions and endocrine systems, allergic to our own shadows, but still motivated by our primal urges. If we can't come up with a dignified, fulfilling role for our myriad 'bare branch'/incel men, someone else will put them to use. Is putting them to use. Perhaps this is Nature's way of doing what we won't. Modern America might be what a human behavioral sink looks like.
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:03 am

phill wrote:yes he did something stupid
did he deserve to be shot for it
i dont think so
i dont think they had the right or justification to have firearms pointed at him in that situation

But it was *his* choice to disobey the direct command of an armed police officer.

Dawinism still has its place in modern society.

What would you say to the police officer's wife and kids if the guy had pulled a gun out of that SUV and killed the policeman?

"Sorry, we had to give the murderer the benefit of the doubt"?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby hagfish » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:11 am

aardvark_admin wrote:"Sorry, we had to give the murderer the benefit of the doubt"?

I think this is the nub of the BLM movement. If he'd been a white guy, he could have reached into the car, pulled out an AR-15, shot a couple of people and still the police would have offered him a drink and calmly arrested him. He was not, so they opened fire.
hagfish

Postby paulw » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:14 am

BLM now stands for Burn Loot Murder
paulw

Postby Malcolm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:48 am

So disobeying an officer is a capital crime now? How about Breonna Taylor what did she do to justify her murder?
The Police are meant to de-escalate and only fall back on lethal force if a last resort
They gave the kid who murdered the two protestors the benefit of the doubt and let him walk away.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:17 am

Malcolm wrote:So disobeying an officer is a capital crime now?

No, a law-enforcement officer to make a split-second decision at a moment he felt that his life was in danger is not unreasonable.

If anyone things that blacks are being shot because they're black, this makes pertenant reading:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/

The Police are meant to de-escalate and only fall back on lethal force if a last resort

Police are also supposed to enforce the law. If they allowed offenders or suspects to simply drive away for fear of "escallating" a situation then I think you'd find that the US would become even a more lawless place than it is now.

They gave the kid who murdered the two protestors the benefit of the doubt and let him walk away.

Perhaps they were trying to de-escalate the situation? And he has subsequently been arrested and charged with two counts of murder.l
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muz » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:05 pm

hagfish wrote:Pre-modern humans evolved with women each bearing about six children, of whom about four survived infancy, and about two survived to adulthood. The human population was very stable for millennia. By and large, adults had sharp eyes, straight teeth, and very effective immune systems. Rites of Passage were necessarily gruelling - "come back with a mountain lion pelt, or don't come back". My pet theory is that - by all-but removing selective pressure from our species - we are now in a position where we are multiple generations into a genetic/mutative spiral. Deleterous mutations no longer get weeded out - I am testament to that. 99% of us just shouldn't be here at all. Of course, there is no solution to this - at least - none that a society would ever willingly implement.

So here we all are, loaded up with drugs to regulate our emotions and endocrine systems, allergic to our own shadows, but still motivated by our primal urges. If we can't come up with a dignified, fulfilling role for our myriad 'bare branch'/incel men, someone else will put them to use. Is putting them to use. Perhaps this is Nature's way of doing what we won't. Modern America might be what a human behavioral sink looks like.

Totally agree. What pushed us beyond the point of no return was "elf n safe tee". Now the criminally stupid are feed, protected and encouraged to breed and we start the cycle all over again.
Muz

Next

Return to Today's column