Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby gbilski » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:16 pm

If anyone things that blacks are being shot because they're black, this makes pertenant reading:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/

That graph on it's own is useless, but did you click on the link there that had the rate of fatal shootings? 31 per million for blacks as against 13 per million for whites. That is a better metric to look at I think.
gbilski
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:32 am

Re: Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby goldedge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:29 pm

I would have thought that an intelligent person could look at both sides of the story past there own racism.

There are always two sides to the story.

Just because someone points a gun at an unarmed man and discharges it and has
the backing of the state does not make him right,

We are heading that way in NZ now, just wait till they arm the CAA (only half kidding).

At the moment of course most police death of kiwi citizens are caused by unnecessary road persuits.

There are a lot of kiwis who gave their lives to preserve our supposed freedoms
they must be rolling over in their graves with regret.

Attitudes that condone lethal force in place of logical thought leave me wondering.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Anyhow have a nice day, the weather is much too good to worry about our future isn't it. :-)
goldedge
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:56 am

Re: Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:40 pm

goldedge wrote:Just because someone points a gun at an unarmed man and discharges it and has
the backing of the state does not make him right,

That is true... but we do demand that laws are enforced and in order to do that effectively, it requires that we give those charged with such responsibilities rights and powers that the rest of us do not have. We would complain more loudly if police powers were only like those in the movie Demolition Man (well worth a watch by the way).

At the moment of course most police death of kiwi citizens are caused by unnecessary road persuits.

Actually, it seems not to be the pursuit itself that causes deaths... it's the abandonment of said pursuits. How strange that those who die seem to do so just seconds after the police abandon a pursuit. If you're being chased by the cops you'd better hope the red-and-blues don't disappear from your rear-view mirror... or you're a gonner! :-)

There are a lot of kiwis who gave their lives to preserve our supposed freedoms
they must be rolling over in their graves with regret.

This I totally agree with and it's something I have voiced myself on many occasions. I find it abhorrent that the memories of those brave souls who gave their lives to protect our freedoms are being insulted by a generation who so freely give up those freedoms to governments that claim to be working in their best interests but, all to often, are actually working in their own best interests. Remember when the catch-phrase was "papers please", the hallmark of Nazi occupation? Now we freely submit to "papers please" from our own state who demand that we prove our identity at road-blocks set up solely to generate revenues for the trough that feeds the political animal.

Attitudes that condone lethal force in place of logical thought leave me wondering.

I am not a fan of "lethal force" but I do believe that people have a right to protect their own lives when there is a very real risk to those lives.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

And this is the mantra by which I live... which explains why I so often rally against the forces of evil and the tyrany of oppressive regulation and government.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4503
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Re: Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby Perry » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:41 pm

Bruce wrote:Are we spending as much time, effort and money trying to find out why anyone would commit such an atrocity in the first place and thus work to prevent it happening again?
No. Of course not. Too many skeletons be there.

Bruce wrote:Police are also supposed to enforce the law.
Not quite.

A modest mis-perception and perhaps a matter of semantics?

Police "keep the peace."

Courts "enforce the law."
Perry
 
Posts: 948
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby cjet » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:14 am

Thorium half-lives matter
Sex lives matter
Gun lives matter
cjet
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:45 am

Re: Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby jo2lo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:07 pm

Suicide by cop?
If this was a white man do you think the cop would have put 7 bullets into that guys' back?
Sorry, you are on a wrong track here.
jo2lo
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:34 pm

Re: Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:16 pm

jo2lo wrote:Suicide by cop?
If this was a white man do you think the cop would have put 7 bullets into that guys' back?
Sorry, you are on a wrong track here.

If I was the cop it wouldn't have mattered to me whether he was black or white, I'd probaby have also shot him.

Remember, the guy (who completely ignored police commands to stop and had just come from a violent confrontation) was reaching into his vehicle for what could have been a gun. Would *you* take the risk that, given the situation and his behaviour, he wasn't going to shoot you before you could shoot him. And once the decision was made to shoot then yes, you shoot to incapacitate and don't stop until you're sure that he *is* incapacitated (which could mean dead).

Many of the cops that are killed in the line of duty are killed because they gave the killer the benefit of the doubt and waited just a second too long.

The simple solution is:

a) don't break the law
b) realise that if a policeman in the USA points a gun at you and says "stop" -- not stopping is a very, very bad idea (black or white)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4503
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Re: Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby Malcolm » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:00 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:The simple solution is:

a) don't break the law
b) realise that if a policeman in the USA points a gun at you and says "stop" -- not stopping is a very, very bad idea (black or white)

It is funny you say that because the large push by the protests in the US has been to hold the Police accountable for breaking the law. In New York chokeholds by police officers were banned. But they still killed Eric Garner by choking him. Eric Garner was not accused of a crime at the time of the incident, and was actually the one who called them to break up a fight he witnessed. They faced no consequences. Similar Breona Taylor was unarmed, sleeping in her apartment when police conducted a no-knock raid while not in uniform reportedly to serve an arrest warrant on someone not even associated with her house and who had already been taken in to custody. The officers were not charged, but her boyfriend was as he fired back at the armed intruders who just shot his partner. He was released after a public outcry. The officers have faced no repercussions. In some areas the police are having what can only be described as a tantrum because the public are demanding they be held to account for their actions.
Malcolm
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 9:43 am

Re: Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby phill » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:42 pm

there was a time when all in the police force would qualify to also be regular armed forces

that no longer applies
and many would not have the intestinal fortitude to go through any form of action
yet
we arm them all
a sad bad and totally wrong way of doing things
since bravery is no longer a requirement for being a police person

take all your friends who could pass a police recruitment course
take out all of them you think should never be allowed near a firearm .. let alone one designed to be used on a person
they do not do that
they all have access to them and are only taught lethal shooting
cowards shoot long before even normal people would think about it

they are not yet the starsi .. they do not have the right to shoot on the offchance

my interpretation of the cop that shot the black guy repeatedly in the back after studying the situation and body language is ...

he did it because he was pissed off the guy did not obey him
not because he had any fear for his own life or the lives of anyone in the area

disobeying a policemen is wrong .. it is not a capital offence
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
User avatar
phill
 
Posts: 2325
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Re: Behavioural sink dooms us all (28 Aug, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:23 pm

phill wrote:disobeying a policemen is wrong .. it is not a capital offence

True... but I'd rather be alive than "right but dead".

Sometimes pragmatism has to outweigh principle -- if your life is at stake.

And what would you say to the family of a police officer who gives an offender the benefit of the doubt and is shot to death?

"Tough, disobeying a policeman isn't a capital offence"?

A police officer must have the right to self defense and even in NZ, self defence is allowed if you genuinely believe your life is in danger -- it's the "belief" that matters.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4503
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 2:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Today's column

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests