Modern day bank robbers (1 Sep, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Modern day bank robbers (1 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:29 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0901.shtml

These days there is no need to burst into your local bank toting a firearm and shouting "put the money in the bag" if you want to commit a robbery.

That's right, all you need is a PC and an internet connection.

Instead of risking their lives breaking into banks, todays modern criminal just uses malware or botnets to steal or extort vast sums from victims that can be half a world away. What's more, the pickings from this sort of crime are far richer than they are from runing away with a burlap bag stuffed with $10 notes.

Is it any wonder therefore that we're seeing a huge surge in cybercrime, even here in little old New Zealand?

What mitigation strategies can be put in place to protect us from these DDOS attacks, ransomware infections and the hijacking of funds?

Do you do your bit when the scammers call and try to get you to give them TeamViewer or other access to your computer?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Modern day bank robbers (1 Sep, 2020)

Postby goosemoose » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:48 am

Yes. Yes I do. Don't get many calls to be honest though. Maybe I'm on some type of scammers no-call list. My record, and this was a few years ago now, was just shy of 2 hours. I also very rarely get calls from survey companies or cold callers. Am I special :)

I do find the tactic of asking the callers of survey companies for a job number and an address to send my (very expensive) invoice to puts them off. Why in this day in age do they expect me to supply this information for free? I do however diligently do questionnaires and surveys from the local council, after all it is my rates paying for it.
goosemoose

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:01 am

Despite all my coaching to never do anything a cold caller told them without checking with me first, my elderly parents-in-law fell victim to a scammer.

Unfortunately the scammer rang the same day they had rang their ISP to report internet problems. They asked the nice person on the phone if he was returning their earlier call and he said "yes", so that was ok, right?

The moment I heard about it I told them to turn their computer off and ring their bank, and I shot round there. I was too late, remote access had been installed and their bank account had been cleaned out. They had not long earlier sold their house and moved into a retirement village, so it was their retirement fund a substantial amount.

The money was never recovered. The bank volunteered to repay them 80% if they kept their mouths shut. I told them to challenge that, so the Bank upped their offer to a 100% refund for their silence, which they accepted. How many others are taking the 80% and keeping quiet?
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:39 am

I'm surprised you didn't mention the other cyber-criminals that are fleecing us daily: Apple, Google, Amazon. ;)
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby cjet » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:07 am

I got scammed the other way
A bank got me to fill out a paper form of my income
Wages go in biweekly. Automatic payment came out weekly
So the mistake was a data entry shown by the can of the page
When the automatic payment did not clear it did not tell me I was in default because next week it did

But after 6 months when we went to buy a house we were told our credit rating was shot

The bank never owned up to their data entry mistake.

We lost six years on buying our first house

We changed banks and started again.
cjet

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Bruce wrote: Oh yeah, and the nice Indian gentleman who called me last night to warn that my Visa card had been used to purchase products on Amazon and iTunes cards was not at all pleased when, after 30 minutes of his attempts to hook up to my computer, I admitted that I don't have a Visa card, I have Mastercard. He made references to my mother that were not in the least bit kind and that put a big smile on my face.

There are simple ways to fight back... if you've got the time and the inclination.

And the sensitive antennae / know how.

Source code, anyone?

Some of the scams are very slick.

So far - so good. Fingers crossed.
Perry

Return to Today's column