The game you can not win (4 Sep, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The game you can not win (4 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:55 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0904.shtml

Just as in New Zealand, the US government protects its agencies by making significant breaches of the laws that were created to protect its citizens simply "unlawful" acts that carry no censure or penalty. The dice are loaded very much against the people and very much in favour of "the powers that be".

We've seen it multiple times here in New Zealand (armed raids on Maori, Kim Dotcom, GCSB surveillance of NZ residents/citizens, etc) where laws that were supposed to protect us from the excesses of government agencies have been broken with impunity -- and the US Court of Appeals has now effectively done exactly the same in respect to the NSA's mass-surveillance of US citizens.

What is the point of these laws if they carry no penalty and therefore effectively do nothing to stop such offending by state-run agencies?

Are they simply to provide the illusion that the people still have a measure of protection against the excesses of the state?

Where to from here I wonder?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The game you can not win (4 Sep, 2020)

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:29 am

Another tricky word used by "them lot," is irregularity.
It too can be used cover special sins, multitudinous or not.
Perry

Postby goosemoose » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:21 pm

It's funny. It's always government organisations that break the law but someone inside those agencies made the decision to "act unlawfully" and thought that what they were doing was a good idea. Could be bloke like your neighbour who made the decision. They generally get protected, unless of course it's politically expedient to throw them to the wolves.

You notice that if someone does something less "unlawful" like leaks details of beneficiaries or the like to, say, debt collectors, from a social agency arm of the government and they get found out, they'll get booted out. Sometimes they are even sent to court and even named and shamed in the media. It's always the old boys club type government departments that get away with it.

I'd like to see the person responsible for making the decision to "act unlawfully" take severe heat, not just the organisation. Never happen of course. Look at the Fire Service and whats happening there now.
goosemoose

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:02 pm

goosemoose wrote:Look at the Fire Service and what's happening there now.

I've missed it. Please tell me more.
Perry

Postby goosemoose » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:27 pm

Perry wrote:
goosemoose wrote:Look at the Fire Service and what's happening there now.

I've missed it. Please tell me more.

Here you go:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/425 ... e-to-light
goosemoose

Yawn

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:48 pm

Thanks for that link.

Much ado about nothing. Well, almost.

The role of the Fire Brigade should not be muddied by any miscreants either directly or indirectly involved in inappropriate activities.

Bullying and / or harassment is ubiquitous - across all industries / workplaces.
Perry

Return to Today's column