Too big to survive? (7 Sep, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Too big to survive? (7 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:47 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0907.shtml

Have the likes of YouTube, Facebook, Twitter etc simply become to big to be sustainable?

How do you possibly hope to deal with such massive flows of user-generated content without making so many stuff-ups that it drives people away?

Is the megalith that YouTube has become starting to show signs of crumbling, both from users' and creators' perspectives?

What will happen to these platforms over the next few years as people seek change and sheer size causes their demise?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Too big to survive? (7 Sep, 2020)

Postby roygbiv » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 pm

Firstly, does it not reinforce that the term AI or artificial intelligence is an oxymoron.
I have often wondered how the social media platforms can manage the exponential increase in storage as everyone uploads puppy and kitten videos in 4K for all to see. It is just such a waste, but then it is free and if you are going to make money on something that is free to all then you may well be on thin ice. YT/Google have to make a dollar sometime so their priority is on the advertisers and regulators who call the shots and pay the fees. If you are producing videos and putting them on YT then your concerns will be at the bottom of the pile, the business model is now a well oiled machine to make money for YT. But you should already know that.
roygbiv

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:13 pm

Bruce wrote:Although I am highly dependent on YouTube for my living, I still think this is a good thing because it will finally see doors open for decent competition within the user-generated VOD content marketspace.

The train wreck that YouTube has become is starting to turn people off. Viewers are tiring of the relentless advertising, content creators are outraged that the AI is mis-labelling their content and denying them the monetisation they need to continue working on the platform. I see the tell-tale signs of the YouTube megalith starting to crumble under its own weight.

At best, Bruce, you're being optimistic.

Gooble, dislexabet, microcrapt, crapple, shitstagram, pootube - all are the same.

USA cyber-terrorists under some other name.

Where's the critical-mass alternative?
Perry

Postby phill » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:53 pm

they are all huge source's for us intelligence ( another oxymoron )
it's unlikely that the us will allow them to fall out of favour
and if you think that cannot be done on a national or international level;
trumps support is still over 40%
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:17 am

Another example (featuring a *very* well-known tech entrepreneur) of how YouTube lies and how their reliance on AI is killing the platform: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVHtUDWnyEo
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column