Why not use base-Pi instead of base-10? (8 Sep, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Why not use base-Pi instead of base-10? (8 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:47 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0908.shtml

We've used base-10 for our numberic system, allegedly because we have ten fingers so that made calculations easier.

Now that we use calculators and computers instead of fingers and thumbs, might there not be huge benefits to switching over to a more "natural" base such as the value of Pi?

Have you had a fascination with mathematics simply because of the wonderful beauty and the power it offers those who understand it?

Or was it just one of those subjects that bored the snot out of you during your years at school?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Why not use base-Pi instead of base-10? (8 Sep, 2020)

Postby granada29 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:22 am

Everyone knows that the circumference of a circle can be calculated using the simple formula "2 x Pi x d".

Oops - unless you mean d is the radius of the circle
granada29

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:34 am

granada29 wrote:
Everyone knows that the circumference of a circle can be calculated using the simple formula "2 x Pi x d".

Oops - unless you mean d is the radius of the circle

No, I have changed the formular to represent the different coloured sky in my world.

Slinks back to keyboard to fix glaring error :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:37 am

(leaves forum post up to acknowledge his own lack of attention to detail at 4 in the morning) :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby roygbiv » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:41 am

I read a great book on mathematics - more of a history of - by Simon Singh "Fermat's Last Theorem". Worth a read.
roygbiv

Postby granada29 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:06 am

Mathematics is full of surprising results. That one that has stuck with me, since learning it in high school some 50+ years ago, is the way 2 irrational numbers (pi and e) together with an imaginary, i = sqrt(-1), can be used to form a negative integer. These 3 quantities (e, pi, i) are basis of much of what I was taught later in engineering school.

Code: Select all
e ** (pi * i) = -1
granada29

Postby goosemoose » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:15 am

I like maths, I'm just not very good at it. I was one on those types back at school where I wanted to know why the hell we'd want to solve for X. I'm not sure what the story is today but I reckon that should be your first algebra maths lesson, why we need to solve for X and why it is so handy, complete with real word examples that are understandable. Or maybe I was asleep at the back of the class during that lesson.....
goosemoose

Postby jo2lo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:07 pm

Ideally we would use binary, so simple in terms of truth tables and On/Off states.
Unfortunately our little brains struggle to remember just how many 2^x we are counting, and those exponential numbers increase in size REALLY fast.
2^8 is "only" 255 dec but 2^64 is huge! (18,446,744,073,709,551,616 dec).

But trying to calculate in irrational numbers such as Pi would take you on a hiding to nothing (or infinity) and beyond.
E.G. (infinity-2) > Infinity

Go figure!
jo2lo

I Hate Maths

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:41 pm

goosemoose wrote:I like maths, I'm just not very good at it. I was one on those types back at school where I wanted to know why the hell we'd want to solve for X. I'm not sure what the story is today but I reckon that should be your first algebra maths lesson, why we need to solve for X and why it is so handy, complete with real word examples that are understandable. Or maybe I was asleep at the back of the class during that lesson.....

Oh how I can relate to that. And trying to teach it to family.

"I hate algebra!"

"You do? Don't you realise that you use it every day?"

"I do?"

"Yes. When you're trying to figure out whether or not the 500gram or one Kg bag of soup mix is better value, you're solving for x."

When I need a run of netting for a fence and I have several rolls of used netting to choose from, I use Pi x d x the mean diameter of the middle number of coils x the number of coils in the roll to get as close as possible to choosing the right roll (length) for the job.

So true . . . .

Bruce wrote:We were taught the knowledge with very little consideration for how it may actually be applied in our post-school lives. "Why do I need to solve the value of x?" was a question seldom, if ever, answered.

T'wasn't knowledge Bruce. It was information.

21% was all I could manage for School Certificate. Despite that, I had high figures for physics and chemistry. Something 'they' said couldn't be done.
Perry

Postby Malcolm » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:21 am

It was to better prepare people for the work force. First day on the job boss comes in and says to do a thing, he doesn't want to explain why, he just wants you to get going and get it done.
"Solve for X"
"Why?"
"Because the boss told you to do it so stop asking questions and get to work"
Malcolm

Next

Return to Today's column