The current "Big Thing" (15 Sep, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The current "Big Thing" (15 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:41 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0915.shtml

It's an ill wind... so they say.

Chances are there will be more than a few fortunes made in the IT and support businesses as a result of the CV19 crisis.

With the way we shop and work undergoing the biggest shake-ups in a generation, there's plenty of work out there for those with the right knowledge and a suitably well-honed business accumen.

If you're in the consulting or e-commerce field, have you seen a surge in business releated to the work-from-home model or an increased number of retailers creating/beefing-up their online presence?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The current "Big Thing" (15 Sep, 2020)

Postby goosemoose » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:03 am

Hah, online office supply retailers! Beefing up their online presence, hah, you're having a laugh! Twice I've had to cancel orders because they suddenly discover they don't have the item in stock that I ordered. Off their websites. That said the item was in stock. Oh there was a warning about delayed delivery, I consider a week or 2 "delayed delivery", not 2 months. Thats out of stock.

Warehouse Stationary, Office Max. Basically just drop shipping. I even phoned one up and asked if they had it in stock and they said yes, 2 days later they said no. Finally got what I wanted off a smaller company in Auckland that had what I wanted. Nothing major, a desk. I wasn't even that picky. I consider that pretty bad in this day in age of online, computerised stock management.

I can see the unemployed HR types, aromatherapy and woo consultants retraining as work from home consultants. It's not really that hard!
goosemoose

Postby hagfish » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:59 am

The idea of taking a discrete chunk of a business and sending it overseas has been around for a long time. When we ring a call centre, the person who picks up the phone could be anywhere around the world. Now that 'professionals' have demonstrated that they can work remotely, the idea of 'business process outsourcing' (or 'BPO') is gaining ground. If someone can do their legal/financial/accounting/project management job from home, then why not from India? Increasingly, we'll see BPO of (previously) high-paying white-collar jobs that used to require a corner office, and lots of meetings with real coffee and fresh pastries. It looks like these jobs will disappear even before they get automated. Get your veggies in, folks.
hagfish

Postby paulw » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Judging by the number of "Work from Home" emails I get from PBTech these days you are right about the next big thing. Just need the matter transporter and we'll be good.
paulw

Return to Today's column