The sky is falling again (16 Sep, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The sky is falling again (16 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:20 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0916.shtml

No, the sky is not falling... although it is getting warmer.

The biggest threat to our peaceful enjoyment of the planet is not global warning, CV19, war or any other such thing.

The biggest threat we face is ourselves and our complacency.

Or do I have that wrong?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The sky is falling again (16 Sep, 2020)

Postby hagfish » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:15 am

I think humans will endure, and in much larger numbers than 'a few breeding pairs up near the Arctic'. But western consumer society might be in for some harsh realities. Infinite growth on a finite planet is not a stable way of developing and distributing resources. Basing a civilisation on fossil fuel and slavery has gotten us this far, but it's probably time to start weaning ourselves onto the next thing. The trouble is, outsourcing our manual labour and our pollution in exchange for pixie-dollars is very comfortable and convenient. Hence all the 'by 2035' and 'by 2040' and 'by 2050' rhetoric. Anything but 'right now'. New Zealanders looked up at the blood-red sky late last year, and decided that was bearable. I do wonder what it will take.
hagfish

Postby JonL » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:04 pm

"the meek shall inherit the earth"?
Pap put up by the ruling powers (the church) to keep the ruled more happy with the shit served up to them.......
JonL

Postby joeseph » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:34 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:We have the power to correct this right their on our voting forms.

I don't agree as there is no-one on said voting forms that will do anything other than what the previous lots have largely done
(short of Mcgillicudy Serious, and I suspect they'd be quickly into the same old trough-routine)
joeseph

Postby jafaboarder » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Humans can always survive but unfortunately that is losing the long game. Subsistence living does not help us develop technology to live longer with improved productivity to live more fulfillied lives.
jafaboarder

Postby Perry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:25 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:We have the power to correct this right there on our voting forms.
joeseph wrote:I don't agree as there is no-one on said voting forms that will do anything other than what the previous lots have largely done

Too true.

Mark the paper as "None Found Suitable."

In this case, stupidity might be defined as electing more or less the same people and expecting the result to be different. (as in different-better)

Quite a dilemma.

All things may come to those who wait,
but only the things left by those who hustle.
Perry

Return to Today's column