Spark, what are you thinking? (17 Sep, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Spark, what are you thinking? (17 Sep, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0917.shtml

Will Spark end up shooting itself in the foot by committing so much of its wireless network bandwidth to the provision of home broadband delivery?

Does it make sense to use wireless for the delivery of services such as Netflix, Disney+ and the other high-data-use streaming VOD services that are now becoming such a common application for broadband to the home?

Will this all end in tears?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Spark, what are you thinking? (17 Sep, 2020)

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:40 am

Yes, it will likely all end in tears.

Having spent millions of taxpayer dollars on the UFB network, I wonder how the gummint might feel about this 'push?'
Perry

Postby joeseph » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:18 am

It's not just Spark that is doing this, Vodafone are doing exactly the same thing.
My Dad has just had his vDSL line "converted" to wireless broadband. Not sure wether the data plan is the same...
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:25 am

joeseph wrote:It's not just Spark that is doing this, Vodafone are doing exactly the same thing.
My Dad has just had his vDSL line "converted" to wireless broadband. Not sure wether the data plan is the same...

The data caps are usually much lower for wireless.

My Skinny wireless at the workshop has a 60GB cap and the Spark one has a 120GB cap. Sounds like a lot but if you've got a 4K TV streaming Netflix it's *nothing*.

I think I used over 2TB last month, what with the wife's Netflix viewing and my YouTube work. No way we could do that with wireless and remain solvent :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby joeseph » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:51 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:The data caps are usually much lower for wireless.

My Skinny wireless at the workshop has a 60GB cap and the Spark one has a 120GB cap. Sounds like a lot but if you've got a 4K TV streaming Netflix it's *nothing*.

I think I used over 2TB last month, what with the wife's Netflix viewing and my YouTube work. No way we could do that with wireless and remain solvent :-)

I'd need to check - as I understand it, Vodafone contacted him and said they'd need to convert from vdsl to wireless as they were getting out of copper as much as possible.
If they've put him on a capped plan then there's going to be fireworks when he finds out!
joeseph

Return to Today's column