New Zealand is in big trouble (18 Nov, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

New Zealand is in big trouble (18 Nov, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:19 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/1118.shtml

Are we burrying our heads in the sand when it comes to NZ's prospects?

Is NZ still pretending we're living in the 1960s, oblivious to the fact that things have changed dramatically. If we don't shape-up and start investing in creating new products, new technologies, new ideas at the same rate as the rest of the world, do we run the risk of waking up one morning to find we've lost all we had?

Should the 48% fall in dairy prices be seen as a wake-up call and the report cited by the NZH an alarm that warns of hard times ahead if we don't break out of the indolence and complacency that is causing us to fall behind our competitors?

Are you as worried about the future that our children and their children will endure as a result of our inaction and the Kiwi "she'll be right" attitude?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: New Zealand is in big trouble (18 Nov, 2014)

Postby Screw » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:12 am

Why so surprised Bruce? Everything is stacked up against people starting up and developing an idea. Our "Obsession" with property is simply because we can borrow money to buy another house but can't borrow to develop an idea. Who's fault is that? NZ is not the only country having this problem. The Yanx are going through a "Jobless" recovery for the very same reason.

The Yanx printed mega squillions of bux and gave it all to the banks, the supposed reason was to get the banks to lend out the money again. But the banks didn't, they just used to to pay their Obscene "Bonuses" to people who caused the crash in the first place!

Our whole economy is skewed and we need to break away from the Milton Madness.
Screw

Postby RoddyAxn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:30 am

Bruce, I visited the patent lawyers last week. It was two decades since I invented a potentially ubiquitous invention in every home in the world. I had invested $6,000. Taken it thought the innovation park incubator in the first group of inventions. Pitched it to waikato university who had 19 projects attracting $720 million and they were not interested in one non farm related idea looking for $50,000 for world wide patent protection.

In the mean time 1992 marked Israel's push into royalty based income into that country. Now billions do dollars flood in to that economy from smart ideas.

And New Zealand is still getting bad press.

In my honest opinion James and Wells IP lawyer firm even put me off when I called into their Hamilton office and was seeking an audience with one of the Partners.

I was there first thing and had to ask many times for a partner to break a meeting to come and see me for a few minutes.

Made to feel less than important.

With all this new funding on offer I said to the company to come back to me with ideas on funding this idea. I even gave them three new comercializing ideas with large global companies but still I am wanting for the promised email from Kate.

Bruce you raise a most important issue. Keep on this thread till you get some change in political will. While the leadership fumbles in the opposition the govt is bent on signing away raw minerals in perpetuity under a new flag of New Zealand.

Kate if you get word of this post please call me. Your firm has been named as part of the problem and we are looking for a solution.
RoddyAxn

Postby goosemoose » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:07 am

I think the dairy industry will be alright. I saw in a farming magazine that Fonteras strategy for the future is "growing value by turning the wheel". What in the hell does that pile of steaming PR, marketing jibber jabber mean. On second thoughts they're screwed. A classic example of the sizzle. In the news also was now Australia have got a better "free" trade deal with China in respect to dairy. How can one have a better "free" anything. "Free" as in trade not beer. Oh I see now :x

I also think the days of people pottering away in their shed is a long gone fallacy. Today they'll be dreaming up PR, legal or cultural scams or figuring out some dumber than dumb act for Clownlands got talent, which'll take little work or brainpower.

I've been looking for some types of investments recently thats not property but in reality whats out there that doesn't, on closer scratching, be nothing but a pseudo scam run by beancounters or delusional fools.

The current government doesn't know what innovation is. It might know what innovated is - something thats already been done, a safe bet that looks good in a photoshoot.
goosemoose

Postby hagfish » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:36 am

The western world lost a generation of its best and brightest. They *should* have gone into engineering and sciences, but went into banking and law instead - the modern-day priesthood. Yes - that credit-default-derivitive-swap-hedge is very clever - but it's not going to help wean us off oil..
hagfish

Postby paulw » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:41 am

I'm quite sure now that Australia has got a FTA with China they will try to eat our lunch in the dairy market.. Wonder if their gov own rail operators will be told to buy crappy Chinese made locos and rolling stock because of the FTA as kiwi Rail was told to do..??.
paulw

Postby Screw » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Screw

Postby RoddyAxn » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:22 am

Great videos. F1 in 3.2 seconds to 100 km/hr
RoddyAxn

Return to Today's column