Don't expect too much from Netflix AU/NZ (20 Nov, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Don't expect too much from Netflix AU/NZ (20 Nov, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:43 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/1120.shtml

With local broadcasters already tying up the broadcasting and streaming rights for huge swathes of the good content, will Netflix's NZ offering be a poor cousin to the UK and US versions?

And what price?

Will it be $15/month so as to retain parity with the US version or will we see Netflix taking advantage of the lack of serious competition in the Kiwi market to gouge customers?

And... will Kiwi Netflix users still be able to access the UK or US versions through use of proxy servers or will they clamp down on that?

Are you prepared to be at least a little disappointed by the final package here in NZ?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Don't expect too much from Netflix AU/NZ (20 Nov, 2014)

Postby psycik » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:15 am

You're right on the catalog and I'm picking the price also.....but at least we'll finally have a service that's on all devices. None of this samsung/apple exclusive access that we currently see by Lightbox, Quickflix service, or laptop only like eziflix and a couple of others.
psycik

Postby goosemoose » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:55 am

Actually my question is what that irrelevance, the Chief Censor is going to say about this. I see he's been bleating about internet stuff lately he can't censor. Will Netflix have to pay off the Obsolescence Classification Office?
goosemoose

Postby RoddyAxn » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:15 am

The oxymoron is...

"Content ..."
RoddyAxn

Postby Stevesub » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:19 am

The older I get, the less interest I have in the box although unfortunately my better half still has the box as her primary method of entertainment in the evenings, and I am expected to find interesting programs for her as she has no interest in reading TV guides. We have had Sky in the past, crap, now have Lightbox, cheaper crap. The new smart TV and unlimited internet data has made it a lot easier to find stuff on the "On Demand" and Lightbox channels. I took a quick look at Quikflix, more crap and I expect Netflix to be similar.

Don't know what we will do when we get back to OZ next year with internet too slow for streaming and I am not buying a smart TV anytime soon but that is 6 months away - USB stick with downloaded programs again???? At least she will have her AFL and NRL on FTA again so that has the weekends sorted - I will go back to my books.

As for Sky, they have been very smart over the years tying up everything including the sport which really pees SWMBO off when in NZ and I refuse to pay Sky's exorbitant charges to view it.
Stevesub

Postby goosemoose » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:58 am

Stevesub wrote:As for Sky, they have been very smart over the years tying up everything including the sport which really pees SWMBO off when in NZ and I refuse to pay Sky's exorbitant charges to view it.

I'm a bit of a sports fan - I'd rather watch a game of something than a game of thrones but there is sweet FA of the 'traditional NZ sports' (cricket rugby etc) on FTA TV thanks to Sky. The end effect of this is I don't really watch those 'traditional NZ sports' any more I watch whatever's on FTA TV. To that end we hear about how crowds are diminishing at the live 'traditional NZ sport' events. I wonder if it's because kids don't/didn't watch those sports because Sky has them all and all the kids who do watch them do other sports like polo, yachting or gold bar counting. In essence the TV coverage of those sports being and advertisment for said sports that gets/got the kids excited and hence making them want to go to the live games or heaven forbid maybe actually play them.
goosemoose

Postby Stevesub » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:13 am

Goosemoose, I agree with you. The 2 mainstream winter sports in OZ are AFL and NRL, both are on prime time on the weekends, live and on FTA. The games are also very well attended. Mind you having a half decent public transport system right at the stadium also helps.
Stevesub

Postby hagfish » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:32 am

goosemoose wrote:Actually my question is what that irrelevance, the Chief Censor is going to say about this. I see he's been bleating about internet stuff lately he can't censor. Will Netflix have to pay off the Obsolescence Classification Office?

If they pony up and join the Film and Video Labelling Body (along with Spark and the Warehouse etc), their 'problem' with the 'Censor' might 'go away'.
hagfish

Postby hagfish » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:44 am

I would be surprised to find Netflix's OWN content on the service when it launches. I believe they've long since sold the rights to Orange is the New Black and House of Cards to local broadcasters.

Neon and Lightbox will be busy buying up the rights to anything remotely interesting. Sky already has the rights to Game of Thrones next year, but there's no way they'll be screening it (immediately) to the plebs on Neon. If they were serious about Neon, GoT would be front'n'centre.

Once it becomes illegal to bypass geoblocking systems (thanks, TPPA!) we might have to revisit the olde video rental store. Whoops - they're all gone..
hagfish

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:35 am

hagfish wrote:.
Once it becomes illegal to bypass geoblocking systems (thanks, TPPA!) we might have to revisit the olde video rental store. Whoops - they're all gone..

You can always try Fatso... they snailmail plastic discs AND have a better class of crap. Assuming snailmail survies for much longer.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Next

Return to Today's column