Don't expect too much from Netflix AU/NZ (20 Nov, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Don't expect too much from Netflix AU/NZ (20 Nov, 2014)

Postby Screw » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:09 pm

I don't expect anything from Netflix, don't use it and don't care.

There are plenty of other sources where flix can be D/L'ed legally.
Screw

Postby hagfish » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:04 am

Kiwiiano wrote:
hagfish wrote:.
Once it becomes illegal to bypass geoblocking systems (thanks, TPPA!) we might have to revisit the olde video rental store. Whoops - they're all gone..

You can always try Fatso... they snailmail plastic discs AND have a better class of crap. Assuming snailmail survies for much longer.

First you have a futz around with a scuffed disc, then deal with trailers, unskippable-this, FBI-that. Then it doesn't know where you stopped it, and you can't watch the rest on a tablet in bed. And then you have to post it back. I know - cry me a river, right? But streaming offers a vastly superior experience to physical media.
hagfish

Postby Malcolm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:06 am

goosemoose wrote:
Stevesub wrote:As for Sky, they have been very smart over the years tying up everything including the sport which really pees SWMBO off when in NZ and I refuse to pay Sky's exorbitant charges to view it.

I'm a bit of a sports fan - I'd rather watch a game of something than a game of thrones but there is sweet FA of the 'traditional NZ sports' (cricket rugby etc) on FTA TV thanks to Sky. The end effect of this is I don't really watch those 'traditional NZ sports' any more I watch whatever's on FTA TV. To that end we hear about how crowds are diminishing at the live 'traditional NZ sport' events. I wonder if it's because kids don't/didn't watch those sports because Sky has them all and all the kids who do watch them do other sports like polo, yachting or gold bar counting. In essence the TV coverage of those sports being and advertisment for said sports that gets/got the kids excited and hence making them want to go to the live games or heaven forbid maybe actually play them.

I remember back in the early 90s when Cricket was on FTA, the NZ domestic competition had a very strong following. It used to be that Lancaster Park would have a healthy crowd for the domestic one day matches, even the round-robin ones and the semi finals and finals would be a near capacity crowd. Then the broadcast rights were sold to Sky. Less and Less people would follow the domestic competitions. This lead to a lower turnout at the games and then less people followed the international games. It is so bad that even international one day games would have a poor attendance at quite a few grounds. It also leads to less kids taking up the sport at school and club level. The decline of NZ cricket I feel can be traced back to putting the games out of reach for so many school kids looking for something to fill their days over the summer break.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:11 am

Yes, but amateur sport as we knew it is now all but dead. It's all about $$ these days so the actual "game" isn't important, only the revenues that can be derived from it are.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Today's column