Searching for answers

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Searching for answers

Postby DigiDog » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Hey Screw... thanks very much for that research. While the auto switches seem expensive (we've only had one power cut in the last 12 months) I'll definitely file these links under "future improvements I'd like to make". ;-)
DigiDog

Postby phill » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:41 pm

firefox .. ( ie and chrome for one offs like radio sport live online where ff is locked up tighter than a duckducks go )

startpage >
duckduckgo ( pretty sure they are no longer completely anon and run as part of yahoo ) >
google >
yahoo
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby enerider » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:19 am

phill wrote:duckduckgo ( pretty sure they are no longer completely anon and run as part of yahoo ) >

Interesting, what makes you say that?

I'm pretty sure they still are anon - they just get their results from a bunch of places (so their results are a mix of Yandex, Yahoo, Wolfram Alpha, Bing and Yummly)

I'm also pretty confident that Yahoo have no fingers in the pie, as anything suggesting Yahoo has snapped DuckDuckGo up is absent, aside from several articles asking why Yahoo hasn't snapped them up yet. (so people suggesting Yahoo buy DuckDuckGo in order to actually be relevant in the search game once again).
enerider

Postby phill » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:34 pm

researching where i might have got it from ( a year or 2 ago )... back when i find something .. or confirm myself wrong

ok i will say i was wrong
it came from a doco i read awhile ago and the only place that matched the content and address i could find was ddg so i stopped using it on the basis of what was in it .. it may not have been right but i moved to startpage

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Screw » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:09 pm

I think that the Duck is still independent. It's a meta-search engine based on Yandex and searches via a variety of engines.
Screw

Postby phill » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:28 pm

yeh .. but the reason i left it was the article i read was not only who owed it but who owned the owner type thing

if i recall correctly it was an article about a search engine based somewhere near where ddg is that was a portal for the 5 eyes boys
no company was specifically mentioned but when i saw where most were and where ddg was i cut using it

call it paranoia

phill

Postby Screw » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:26 am

Use Tor then mate. Whilst it's not perfect as security goes, it makes the spooks work hard for their money! ;)
Screw

Postby Malcolm » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:16 am

Screw wrote:Use Tor then mate. Whilst it's not perfect as security goes, it makes the spooks work hard for their money! ;)

Nah, it just flags you as someone who should be monitored. Also Tor security is fairly easy to break if you have the infrastructure in place to control a fair percentage of the exit nodes, which reportedly the NSA does.
Malcolm

Postby enerider » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:32 am

As Malcolm says, using Tor will get you flagged (already probably too late for me as I used it before I knew better, but oh well).

Easier to set up some VPN VMs overseas (don't need huge processor or disk, just need the hop).

:mrgreen:
enerider

Postby Screw » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:55 am

enerider wrote:As Malcolm says, using Tor will get you flagged (already probably too late for me as I used it before I knew better, but oh well).

Easier to set up some VPN VMs overseas (don't need huge processor or disk, just need the hop).

:mrgreen:

You and me Rider. What I like about Tor is that the spooks have to work very hard to wade through all the hoops. As I said, make them work for the money they get only to find that there is nothing there worth all that time! ;)

I use VPN proxies too, especially the anon ones. :mrgreen:
Screw

PreviousNext

Return to Today's column