A good time to buy a new computer? (6 Jul, 2015)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A good time to buy a new computer? (6 Jul, 2015)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:04 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2015/0706.shtml

The falling Kiwi dollar plus retailers looking to clear their Win8-based gear before the next shipment of Win10-based stuff arrives means that you can strike a pretty keen deal right now.

Wait a month and you could be paying 25-30% more for the same gear.

Is it a good time to buy a new bit of computing kit?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A good time to buy a new computer? (6 Jul, 2015)

Postby Gerbs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:18 am

Except..... the free upgrade offer from Microsoft also applies to those new PCs, does it not?
There is an annoying little icon on every Windows based PC I have in my house offering free Win10.
I imagine those PCs on the shelf at your local Harvey Normans will be doing the same :)
Gerbs

Postby retroman33366 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 am

And the real sweet point is. Windows 10 will be free to windows 7 legit users and above. Mind you my ex lease business lap top of maybe 2 years of age still has more speck than the entry machines and still keep up with lower high end all in ones. Though that’s my only windows machine the others are all Linux of a sort and a few android odds and sodds.
retroman33366

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:44 am

Yeah... but the problem is that if you have Win8 you will have the hassle of doing the upgrade and if you have stock on the shelf you'll either have to upgrade or convince the customer than a upgrade is easy/painless.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby BruceNZ » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:12 am

Does your ThinkPad have an ATA drive or SATA? If SATA, look to do an SSD upgrade and you won't recognise your old laptop. Another not-so-expensive option: buy a 3-year-old ex-lease Dell Latitude (Grays Online, PB Tech, TradeMe) and stick a SSD in it.
BruceNZ

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:17 am

I think it's so old that it's probably got an MFM drive :-)

Just looking around, I can buy a far more capable machine than the aged ThinkPad in the $300-$400 price range. THe only problem is this modern fixation with *shiny* screens instead of the nice non-glare that the IBM has. What *idiot* decided that having a shiny, highly reflective screen on a device that is likely to be used outdoors was a good idea????
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby BruceNZ » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:35 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Just looking around, I can buy a far more capable machine than the aged ThinkPad in the $300-$400 price range. THe only problem is this modern fixation with *shiny* screens instead of the nice non-glare that the IBM has. What *idiot* decided that having a shiny, highly reflective screen on a device that is likely to be used outdoors was a good idea????

Yes, but I'll bet it looks good in the shop though.... I have suggested to a couple of people that they get an ex-lease Latitude E6520 and put an SSD in it. They'll then get a Core i7 (if they are lucky) with 4GB - 8GB RAM and a fast drive. They can also move to 16GB RAM for under $200. Decent chassis and good screen in a nicely-priced package.
BruceNZ

Postby phill » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:43 am

i only ever brought one brand new computer.. pentium 100, 128k ram,100 meg drive etc .. lovely it was.... till it got stolen ... i needed a replacement quick and cash was tight so i bought a second hand outfit .. faster, better and cost less... that was me till i started doing like i think most here do ... buy parts and make your own .. not only cheaper but with every bit of research into what to buy you learnt more about the whole system and how things worked .. my poor current box is on its 6th mother board 3rd processor and has used 2 windows systems and 8 or so gnu linux ones either as single or dual boot ( vote still for mint / cinnamon )

im a bit put out there is no icon telling me i have been selected for a free upgrade to win 10 .. to be fair it would be treated a bit like a selection for 'carousel'
i have learnt a few very generalized guides for buying 2nd hand computer stuff ( esp ) online though
obviously its all trademe and very generalized but pretty much all my bad purchases have been from either asian sellers or sellers that come from wallytown area
my semi humorous comments would be asians in nz dont really know better and wallytown has so many snivel servants that obviously also dont know any better
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby phord » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:52 am

Apparently the shiny screen is a marketing thing, consumers will more likely buy something shiny.

Another pet hate of mine is that the screens are 16:9 aspect ratio.
The idea is for DVD watching.
Horrible for web browsing or editing or reading documents.
Stuff all vertical space after the toolbars.
Older laptops were 4:3, or sometimes 5:4.

Websites are becoming mobile responsive (they adjust layout for the display).
These websites on a 16:9 screen, often the text goes all the way from the left screen edge to right. Makes reading on a wide screen a real chore.

Examples of technology going downhill, & everyone silently puts up with it.
phord

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:57 am

BruceNZ wrote:Yes, but I'll bet it looks good in the shop though.... I have suggested to a couple of people that they get an ex-lease Latitude E6520 and put an SSD in it. They'll then get a Core i7 (if they are lucky) with 4GB - 8GB RAM and a fast drive. They can also move to 16GB RAM for under $200. Decent chassis and good screen in a nicely-priced package.

Cool... I'll have to hunt one of those down!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column