Facelift time? (14 Apr, 2016)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Facelift time? (14 Apr, 2016)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:02 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2016/0414.shtml

Where to from here?

What direction would you like Aardvark to take as we head off into the future?

What's the most liked and most loathed aspect of your daily dose and the site on which it appears?

What ideas do *you* have?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Facelift time? (14 Apr, 2016)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:07 am

How many folk might be interested in a short (6-7 minute) podcast on a daily or weekly basis?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Logan Savage » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:19 am

aardvark_admin wrote:These days there are barely half a dozen sites with stuff worth reading
Perhaps your sci-tech news could link to those sites? I think that would be a better look than linking to stories from 2013
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:21 am

I have to admit I do miss the daily news roundup - I came here for both the blog and the well-aggregated list of news items. I tend now to just jump over to arstechnica (when I remember) so miss the old list. But I do appreciate the time and effort that was involved in putting it together.

Weekly vlog? You'd better clean the bench in that case! :D
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:42 am

I wonder if it would be doable to have a page where users can provide links to interesting tech-stories? That way we could still have a tech news section, but the admin work would be limited to vetting the input for spam/advertising [and maybe even that could be farmed out to a small group of volunteers]. A bit like a tech-themed metafilter http://www.metafilter.com.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby hagfish » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:46 am

When you're assessing new layouts, I would ask that you start with a four-inch mobile screen, and work from there. Your analytics may suggest that very few people visit on mobile devices, but in this chicken/egg situation, the nice responsive egg has to come first. All these demands from a non-contributing d-bag... maybe I oughta drop some coins in your hat :oops:
hagfish

Postby RoddyAxn » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:18 am

I miss being able to put up a photo.

A system of uploading a photo 20 megabits and then behind the scenes it compresses it to 150 kbite file for display.

When a YouTube video is put into the text that it have a thumb nail picture of the link would be indicative of the content and useful.
RoddyAxn

Postby goosemoose » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:44 am

Go modern, lots of flash, animated GIFs etc and a times new roman, yellow on black style.

Or not.

I'd agree with putting the story of the day on the main page in it's entirety. As you don't do the sci-tech stuff any more perhaps that could be removed, in fact I'd go as far to say get rid of all old stuff no longer used, with the exception of your articles of course. I'm all in favour of the KISS principle, a nice clean site works for me.
goosemoose

Postby par_annoyed » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:10 am

goosemoose wrote:Go modern, lots of flash, animated GIFs etc and a times new roman, yellow on black style.

AARGH !!!!! Everything I HATE !! [Yes, I do know you're joking....]

As far as I'm concerned, as much text as you like, yes ditch the 'read more'.
I'm very much a KISS man too, and so ideal is few pictures /ads, and links out are fine, just try to keep down the clutter. Existing layout is AOK for me.
I'm one of those surfers who use 'Imageblock' I don't think I need to say more.
par_annoyed

Postby DigiDog » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:24 am

Getting rid of the "read more" is a great idea Bruce. For years now I've arrived at the front page, clicked the "read more" link then scrolled back up to the top of the page to read the entire story in one chunk. And that "forums are up" section had overstayed its welcome. I heartily approve of the changes.

While I lapped up your tech headlines in the early dialup days, our current faster, shinier internet is a lot more accessible to us ordinary folk nowadays. I assume that most of your visitors will already visit a variety of sites each day and everyone has favourites which appeal to their particular tastes. With that in mind, it's hardly worth an hour of your time every day compiling news headlines.

You might want to consider updating phpBB as the latest version has improved quite a bit. It's more secure and they've removed annoyances like that extra click ("view your submitted message") after you submit a post and want to view it.

But hey... whether it's a tech tale or a grumpy old man story, I enjoy your daily perspective on the world Bruce. Keep up the good work and I look forward to the freshen up.
DigiDog

Next

Return to Today's column