Self-driving cars involved in more crashes than normal vehic

Discussions about anything in the news

Self-driving cars involved in more crashes than normal vehic

Postby Muscular Jam » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:16 am

Self-driving cars involved in more crashes than normal vehicles
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28427-self-driving-cars-involved-in-more-crashes-than-normal-vehicles/
The researchers found a total of 11 accidents involving self-driving cars between 2012 and September 2015, two of which resulted in injuries. With the cars having driven about 1.9 million kilometres on public roads (the overwhelming majority by Google’s fleet), that works out at just over 5.5 accidents per million kilometres.

The good news is that autonomous cars weren’t found to be at fault in any of the crashes. The accidents were also generally less severe and there were no fatalities. However, vehicles driven by humans averaged just 1.2 crashes per million kilometres during the same period, according to police statistics.
Muscular Jam

Re: Self-driving cars involved in more crashes than normal v

Postby Malcolm » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:09 am

One explanation I heard of this is the self driving cars can't break the rules to avoid a crash. A human is able to see and react without constraint where as the software in the car limits the actions to what is in the road rules. E.G can't swerve in to another lane over double yellow lines to avoid imminent threat.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:08 am

i would be happy with those figures
they represent the earliest days of the tec

and it seems they are the same as planes ... the bit most likely to break down is the nut behind the wheel
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Muscular Jam » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Another theory I've heard is that they are too trusting and expect other cars to behave rationally and predictably. Whereas we know that that every other car on the road is potentially being driven by a lunatic and treat them with suspicion.
Muscular Jam

Return to General News Discussion