New (loan) camera arrived today

Discussions about anything in the news

New (loan) camera arrived today

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Panasonic NZ has kindly sent me a demo unit of the HC-X1500 4K video camera to try out and it arrived today.

I'll be reviewing it on my RCModelReviews YT channel in a week or so but just wondered if there was anything that readers here would like to know or like me to check-out.

It's a pretty well spec'd bit of kit and it costs exactly the same (NZ$3,000) as the Panasonic MX500 camera I bought back in about 2003. The MX500 was a 3CCD standard-def camera with miniDV tape. The HC-X1500 is a 4K camera with all sorts of bells and whistles. My how technology moves on.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: New (loan) camera arrived today

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:09 pm

ooohh... first impressions are very positive!

Feels nice and solid in the hand, the 4K footage (UHD at 200Mbps) is nice and my edit rig handles it buttery-smooth at 50FPS.

Don't like the tiny zebra-stripes as much as the Sony's far more obvious ones and I'm still finding my way around the menus so won't voice an opinion about those until I've become more familiar.

A 128GB SD card gives just under 85 minutes of recording at full UHD/200Mbps rate. I better get another!

No manual available yet... that's a bit of a bummer but I guess it's a good test of the intuitiveness of the UI.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to General News Discussion