Sky blames pirates for lack of competitiveness

Discussions about anything in the news

Sky blames pirates for lack of competitiveness

Postby Malcolm » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:54 am

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indust ... ubscribers

TV and movie piracy has been mainstream for about 10-15 years. It is not why Sky is going down. It is failing because of Netflix/Amazon Prime/Youtube offering much better options.
It is like when the Main street music shops and video rental places started failing they blamed MP3 downloads and piracy. In reality it was because The Warehouse was undercutting them. Often a new release movie DVD would cost $12 to rent for three nights. The same movie DVD could be bought for $15 at The Warehouse. No membership and no having to make the trip to return it.

He was right about one thing though
While Sky was clear that "video-on-demand" rather than "linear" broadcast television was the future, "now was not the time for a massive conversion of its core business", chief executive John Fellet said.

No now is not the time to launch into delivering streaming video over the old method. That time was about 4 years ago.

With rumours of the NZRFU being offered vast piles of cash by Amazon for the rights to stream Super Rugby and All Blacks there is very little left for Sky.
Malcolm

Re: Sky blames pirates for lack of competitiveness

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Yeah, I was going to write a column on this tomorrow but I have to ask... if piracy is such a big problem, why is Netflix doing so well then?

LOL

I did post a comment on the Stuff story but (as so often is the case) they chose not to publish it -- perhaps because I suggested that Fellet was too old to be CEO of what is actually a technology company. Stuff's moderation sucks!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to General News Discussion