Trust the IAEA? Precision & Accuracy - 2 different things!

Discussions about anything in the news

Trust the IAEA? Precision & Accuracy - 2 different things!

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:50 pm

https://fukushimainform.ca/2017/10/11/i ... onitoring/

“After 3 years of interlaboratory comparisons and proficiency tests, we’re able to make the conclusion very confidently that the results published regularly by Japanese authorities are PRECISE,” IAEA Environment Laboratories director David Osborn said at a 28 September press briefing in Tokyo about marine radioactivity measurements.

This article made me angry, and leery of eating Tuna. The IAEA representative nowhere said that the results from Japanese testing were ACCURATE.

There is a big difference between precision and accuracy. Results can be totally INACCURATE while they are still PRECISE. This occurs when samples are collected that are not representtive of the true data set.

From Wikipedia:

-Precision is a description of random errors, a measure of statistical variability.

Accuracy has two definitions:

More commonly, it is a description of systematic errors, a measure of statistical bias; as these cause a difference between a result and a "true" value, ISO calls this trueness.
Alternatively, ISO defines accuracy as describing a combination of both types of observational error above (random and systematic), so high accuracy requires both high precision and high trueness.

In simplest terms, given a set of data points from a series of measurements, the set can be said to be precise if the values are close to the average value of the quantity being measured, while the set can be said to be accurate if the values are close to the true value of the quantity being measured. The two concepts are independent of each other, so a particular set of data can be said to be either accurate, or precise, or both, or neither.

i haven't talked to you folks for a good long while.
I hope you all are well!

Sam I AM

Please delete the post i made on the other blog. I post so seldom anymore, i forget that i need to post new topics on this page. Sorry about that! and i hope you are all well.
Sam I Am

Return to General News Discussion