Last Name: xxxxxxxxx
Email Address: xxxxx@xxx.com
Phone Number:
Preferred Contact Method: Email
Address: xxxxxxx
New Zealand
ANZ Customer: Yes
ANZ Customer Number: xxxxxxx
Query: i was horrified to learn at my local shop you activated nfc on my card remove the ability now ty
Previously Raised: No
Required Outcome: turn off nfc on my
card
Response Required: Yes

Dear Mr xxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking the time to
write
to us.

The Contactless feature is a new payment technology introduced by Visa
which we understand all main banks in New Zealand are using on their Credit and Visa Debit cards.

The Contactless functionality on our cards can not be turned off. You are however able to choose to insert
or swipe your card if you do not want to complete a Contactless
transaction. We also offer standard EFTPOS cards without the Contactless feature for
customers who would prefer not to have it. Let me assure you that even without
having to sign or enter a PIN, Contactless transactions are still as secure as all other payment
methods using your ANZ credit and debit cards. That's because it uses secure encryption technology and the
same, reliable payment network as regular card transactions – makingit just as secure.

If our ANZ Fraud system notices unusual purchasing activity on your ANZ
credit or debit card account, the ANZ Fraud team will be alerted, they
will block your card so no further transactions can be made and then contact you to check that everything is
in order. Also,Visa's Zero Liability protection means you won't be
liable for unauthorized transactions, provided you haven't contributed to the loss in any way
and you notify us that your card has been lost, stolen or misused within a reasonable time.

If you have any further concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards

Alxx Rixxx
Complaints Analyst
Complaints Resolution Team

hello person

yup i sure do
first and foremost
"why was i not notified that my card
was being activated for nfc transactions ?"

i appreciate the we will do whatever we
efing want attitude of all banking staff is pervasive and difficult to curb
it would however still be prudent to inform customers of major changes to their banking system

yes send me out a credit card with no nfc option

you may deactivate the presnt one after i have activated its replacement

i would thank you
but im a lot closer to removing my term deposit and daily account to another bank
x xxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your reply.

We do not notify our customers that we are activating NFC as this
function is active upon card creation and is mentioned in the "Terms and Conditions".
We are unable to send you a card with no NFC function, as it is unable
to be turned off on ANZ cards. The only card ANZ offers with no NFC function is an EFTPOS card.

If you would like an EFTPOS card please
approach your local Branch or
call out Contact Centre.

Kind regards

Alxxx Rixxxx

hello person

There’s no point in acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaints and its far too late to start making a fuss about it now.

What do you mean you’ve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh for heaven sake mankind it’s only four light years away you know! I’m sorry but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs that’s your own regard. Energise the demolition beams! God I don’t know…apathetic bloody planet, I’ve no sympathy at all…

same same

.... havnt got back to me yet
is anyone else surprised at this or was i the last to know this function ... functions .. asked for or not
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Re: pay wave activation

Postby Muscular Jam » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:12 am

ASB replaced my old visa card with a paywave version in 2015. I complained and they turned the paywave off. So either ASB has changed its policy since then or ANZ are telling you porkies.
Muscular Jam

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:41 am

I don't know what y'all are bitching about... I find PayWave incredibly convenient.

Whenever I find a card on the street or steal one from a person's wallet or purse, PayWave lets me make dozens of transactions (up to $80 each) using that card with no problems at all.

It's not stealing... because the banks will reimburse the card-owner for the losses.

Signed
A pickpocket and career petty criminal.
(oh damn, did I post from my admin login? :-))
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:01 am

Muscular Jam wrote:ASB replaced my old visa card with a paywave version in 2015. I complained and they turned the paywave off. So either ASB has changed its policy since then or ANZ are telling you porkies.

I think Visa wants it on globally as it is actually more secure in terms of skimmers harvesting card details. People using stolen cards for small transactions are less of a risk for them.
Malcolm

Postby Jimmy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:29 pm

You might have more luck with your emails to the bank if you formatted them properly to make them look better and easier to read - capital letters, full stops, complete sentences and suchlike. Certainly when I was a lad and had some involvement in answering official (quasi-government) correspondence, it tended to have a much better chance of being considered seriously if it looked well written and considered.

Having said that, my understanding is that the antenna needed for paywave runs around the very edge of the card. So if you get a hacksaw blade and cut a small notch from the top of the card to the top of the magnetic stripe (NOT into the magnetic stripe)in approximatley the middle then it severs the antenna. This means that paywave will no longer work, but the other functions of the card will still work as intended.
Jimmy

Postby Muscular Jam » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:58 am

I checked and ASB still lets customers disable paywave on visa cards
https://www.asb.co.nz/help/how-do-i-dis ... card-.html
Why not try informing your bank (using the tips Jimmy provided) that if they don't disable it you will be forced to switch to a bank that does like ASB.
Muscular Jam

Return to General News Discussion