Drone stupidity

Discussions about anything in the news

Drone stupidity

Postby greven » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Not all drone hobbyists are blessed with common sense.
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeala ... blaze.html
greven

Re: Drone stupidity

Postby phill » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:25 pm

seems some responders are the same
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:32 am

This is an interesting story and I'm trying to get some more information on it.

Firstly, the fact that there was a drone seen in the area does not automatically suggest that helicopters were endangered.

I would not be surprised if this was a monumental over-reaction on the part of someone who has read too many Daily Mail stories and thought "drone = death".

What if this person was flying their drone quite safely and posed no threat at all to the helicopters -- which is quite possible.

Think about it... we have eight helicopters all flying in close proximity to each other and that's deemed safe -- but we ground them all when a toy appears.

There has *never* been a single instance of a drone causing a helicopter to crash but already, in the past two months, five people have died as a result of other manned aircraft colliding with helicopters:

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/3.0.15/n ... helicopter

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... nghamshire

What's more, in the only reported instance of a drone ever colliding with a helicopter, the outcome was a dinged rotor blade and slightly dented cabin-door. No injuries, no crash.

In fact, the biggest threat to the safety of helicopters fighting fires is the very gear they use:
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeala ... -fire.html

So seriously, it's time regulators and enforcement agencies realised that drones *can* be flown in proximity to helicopters without presuming that bad things will happen.

Remember that over Christmas, huge numbers of drones were given as gifts and there have probably been millions of drone-flights undertaken -- yet not one single significant injury or death has been reported as a result. Yet, in the same time we've seen the crash of two manned aircraft here in NZ (with a death), a mid-air collision (helicopter and biplane) in Spain and countless other manned aviation injuries and fatalities -- none of which involved drones.

Regulators and the media are starting to look bloody stupid with this witch-hunt they're engaged in -- a witch-hunt that completely ignores the irrefutable facts.

No, people should not fly drones in a manner that could endanger manned aircraft -- but if I'm flying *my* drone around at knee-height in the park, it poses ZERO danger to any passing helicopter and that's something which needs to be very clearly acknowledged.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:24 am

total stupid incompetent foolish act to stop helos flying at a fire because of a toy
those helos provide emergency backup to ground crews if something goes wrong ( hailed 1 at a fire to douse an edge overtaking our gear and selves when the wind changed )

helicopters are dropped at fires
but never by a drone
prickles the one that dropped at the karikari fire had dropped several before his last mistake

if the fire was 8 choppers worth ( a lot more than the budget runs to normally )
it must have been fairly active for the ground crews to be near
to withdraw their " top cover " is just dumbfounding
it seems some with authority can do stupid things for the sake of some ego trip of incompetence
and others will just stand by and nod

my recommendation
charge the person that grounded the choppers and dont let them near a fire again
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby greven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:24 pm

It was an over-reaction, but imagine if every rubbernecker & reporter got the idea they could fly a drone all over any emergency or crime scene. It would be chaos.
greven

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:36 am

An interesting update...

The app which Airways has been encouraging people to use (AirMaps) as a way of determining whether it is safe to fly a drone at any particular location/time failed to advise the operator of that drone that there was a NOTAM and helicopters operating in the area where he was flying.

So who is responsible?

Airways for promoting a tool that doesn't work?

Or the operator for being stupid enough to rely on such a tool, despite the encouragement and recommendations of Airways?

I did a bit of a rant about the folly of such (cr)apps before the fires and the incident in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr16wNjk5j4
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby greven » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 am

The app hasn't reached version 1.0 yet, so nobody is allowed to complain about it or rely on it, even if everyone is being encouraged to rely on it. Kinda like the early days of Gmail
greven

Return to General News Discussion