Hagar's latest book

Discussions about anything in the news

Hagar's latest book

Postby Malcolm » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:34 am

Certainly dropped a bombshell in to the election. Rumours of people working exceptionally late in to the night on the ninth floor of the Beehive as they decide what they will do about it.

Everyone was expecting another round of GCSB is spying on us for the US, but instead we get internal communicaiton between the top levels of the National party and their bloggers they use to attack opponents. Proving what Labour has been trying to say has been happening for the last 6 or so years.

We even have an allegation of using the SIS against the Labour party and supplying what is normally classified information to a blogger to embarass the opposotion leader. Not to mention hacking the oppositions computer systems.

Haven't seen a copy of it yet but apparently the publisher is working to get a digital copy available as soon as possible. With the physical copies apparently selling out very quickly.
Malcolm

Re: Hagar's latest book

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Of course "Honest John" will deny everything and accuse Hagar of being a left-wing conspiracy theorist (but hang on, didn't he also embarrass Helen Clark's government with some inconvenient truths when she was PM?)

The standard strategy of lazy and shonky politicians these days when confronted with such revelations is to deny then just hole-up and ignore it. For it is better to better to remain silent and be thought a liar than to open one's mouth and remove all trace of doubt -- perhaps?

The sad, sad thing is that far too many people in this country vote on the basis of criteria such as "he seems nice" or "our family has always voted <insert party of choice>" or "my husband tells me to vote for him so I do".

The great unwashed tend to be politically ignorant and don't seem to be concerned enough to actually sort through the policies, manifestos, track records and facts to make an informed choice.

So... as they so often say... *WE* get the government the vast majority of ignorant people deserve.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:13 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:The great unwashed tend to be politically ignorant and don't seem to be concerned enough to actually sort through the policies, manifestos, track records and facts to make an informed choice.

Wonder why that is Bruce? Could it possibly be that ye average Kiwi toiler is paid so badly and has to work for so long, they don't either the time or inclination to bother about politics? Perhaps they just want to blob out after a hard days toil in front of TV?
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:15 pm

If that's the case screw then they only have themselves to blame that they're forced to work so hard.

If they've got time to watch Shortland Street and NZ's Got Talent then they should take some time to do a little homework and make informed decisions at the polling booth that will mean they're not working all the hours god sends just to make ends meet.

Some people are their own (and our) worst enemies -- it's hard to have sympathy for them.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:39 pm

Easier to say than do Bruce. Often they are completely worn out from work and all they want to do is unwind in front of a TV and often so mentally worn out they couldn't get interested in politics anyway. It's a sad treatise on our modern low wage economy.
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:29 am

I didn't say it would be easy -- but then again, few things of value in life come easily and those things worth having are worth fighting for.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby pctek » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Could it possibly be that ye average Kiwi toiler is paid so badly and has to work for so long, they don't either the time or inclination to bother about politics?

Or they see them all as pretty much the same, don't see any party with a complete agenda they agree with so WTF.
pctek

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:34 pm

I think I'll vote Internet/Mana - not because I think they're a viable political force -- in fact quite the opposite.

The only way I can see to get the average Kiwi off their arse and actually doing something positive towards the formation of a positive, effective, honest government is to subject them to looney Hone and Krazy Kim. If the IM party took power I think *all* Kiwis would suddenly find themselves taking a very strong interest in how the country is run and learning (the hard way) about the perils of "she'll be right".
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby enerider » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:24 am

So you're going with "Option 4" as well then, Bruce? :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138&p=1018#p1018
enerider

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:03 am

Yep, you've nailed it.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General News Discussion