Bugger

Discussions about anything in the news

Bugger

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu May 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Well this damned Parkinson's is moving into a new stage of annoyance.

It looks as if I'm going to have to start taking regular medication to help aliviate the symptoms which have been progressing at what has become (quite frankly) a worrying pace.

Went to the doctor this morning and he's given me some stuff to take with the advice that there's basically only so much dopamine left in your brain so don't waste it.

It seems that the medication will provide periods of time when the symptoms are greatly reduced -- but there's a "gotcha" insomuch as it can make the rest of the time worse... and the more you use it, the less effective it becomes.

Apparently the secret is to try and time things so that you effectively use up your last drop of dopamine on the last day of your life -- or some such thing. ie: start the meds too soon and your total "useful" functioning will end up being reduced. Start them too late and you may end up dying of some other cause while they still have a useful effect.

It's easy to ignore things when you're not reminded by the popping of a pill each day that they exist. I guess now I'll have to start carefully rationing my "good times" and getting the most out of those hours when/while I can.

Not all bad news though... the doctor reckons that if I time things right I'll probably have another 7 years of relatively functional existence before things get too bad to function.

C'est la vie I guess.

It's amazing how this changes your perspectives on life though. I intend to waste very little of the time I have left and if that means flying my drone in the park in flagrant violation of the Mayor's diktat... then so be it. As I've been reminded... sometimes we're here for a good time, not a long time :-)

Stay tuned -- the plan is still to live forever or die trying :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Bugger

Postby pid@ifm.net.nz » Sun May 06, 2018 10:45 am

Wow, what a post Bruce. I can see how it would change your views on life, and like you say - what do you care about the drone rules now.
pid@ifm.net.nz

Postby pctek » Tue May 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Me I'm not.
I filled out one of the forms for the docs, but I don't trust it.
You fall down in the street or something, an ambulance isn't going to ring a doc first, nor an ER.

SO I got a bangle, Do Not Resuscitate, No Treatment.

I don't believe in wasting remaining time with nasty poisons trying to stave off the inevitable.
pctek

Postby Screw » Mon May 14, 2018 4:16 pm

You're right Bruce; having the 'Jitters' is a buggar! It can make even mundane things very difficult to do. Take care mate.

At the tender young age of 74 I am a professional procrastinator and I keep putting off getting old! I completely understand what it's like to have to take pills every day to function. I have a variant of Emphysema called 'Potroom Asthma' and get very breathless. Can't even climb a flight of stairs without having to stop half way to catch my breath. Got it from all those long hours slaving over a non-ferrous hot furnace!

So concentrate on doing the things you love doing and the people you love too.
Screw

Postby Grumpy » Sat May 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Like Screw, I have a variant of COPD that leaves me short of breath. In addition I have second stage Congestive Heart Failure which also exacerbates my breathing, but at the youthful age of 85 I still have loads of cerebral interests to keep mentally active at least. Thankfully, modern technology has provided me with a slew of medication to slow down the inevitable deterioration plus the Internet giving me the World at my desk.
However, I still get frustrated at the difficulty I now have using a soldering iron to modify printed circuit boards. This is something I will have to accept nodoubt. I also understand that you will also have to come to terms with this some day.

My wife and I often laughingly talk about a 'motorised' zimmer-frame with a step-up for short rides. In actual fact I wonder why one hasn't already appeared on the local market as I am sure there would be good sales.

In the meantime, flying my drone gives me good outdoor exercise :D
Grumpy

Return to General News Discussion