Drone stops fireworks - shared frequency range

Discussions about anything in the news

Drone stops fireworks - shared frequency range

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:29 am

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/queenstow ... ks-display

Now there's a hole in the CAA regs!

I assume the drone operator was hoping to get footage like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KZ3jgbbmI
GSVNoFixedAbode

Re: Drone stops fireworks - shared frequency range

Postby phill » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:39 am

i kept wondering how with almost all modern rc's using frequency shifting this could have happened ( it doesnt actually give an example of something that happened )

i also wonder about the explosive safety regs allowing demonstrators to use common general use frequencies for their controls

i also wondered if this was just complete bullshit from people speculating on what might have happened in areas they know next to nothing about
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Re: Drone stops fireworks - shared frequency range

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:51 am

Yes, I cry foul on this one too.

How can it be that we're all worried about tiny recreational mulitirotor drones (which have never killed anyone in the entire history of the world) when it seems that we have perhaps hundreds of kilos of explosives being controlled by a radio-control system that is so poorly designed and implemented that the emissions of a single RC system can upset it?

What about all the phones that were there with WiFi enabled? The nearby WiFi access points? The police radios? The RTs in the taxis bringing people to the event, etc, etc?

How could it be that a single, lowly drone was able to screw up the fireworks control system -- despite having a puny 100mW or so of RF power and using a spread-spectrum modulation which is designed to operate even in the presence of many similar devices. In fact, the world record for flying RC model aircraft simultaneously using this 2.4GHz RC gear involved *HUNDREDS* of models all flying at the same time -- without interfering with each other....

Yet we're expected to believe that the lame-arsed control system which can trigger hundreds of kilos of explosives in a public place is incapable of handling the interference that a *single* drone might create? And we blame the drone rather than the idiots who would rely on such a shonky radio link to control hundreds of kilos of explosives in close proximity to the public?????

What a load of bullshirt!

And notice that in this lame report on the incident from Stuff, they take the opportunity to remind everyone just how evil drones are when they add (for no real reason):

There have been growing concerns about privacy and safety as drone usage increases.

Drones have been used to spy on people both in public and through windows in their own homes, and it can be difficult or even impossible to identify the operator.

Improper drone use in restricted areas, like airports, have delayed and even re-routed planes approaching Auckland Airport more than once.

One man was convicted on three charges of breaching controlled airspace in 2016 when he used his drone to record scrub fires

Can you say "a clear agenda to vilify drones"????
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to General News Discussion