Man Arrested For Shooting Drone...

Discussions about anything in the news

Man Arrested For Shooting Drone...

Postby Screw » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 am

Kaboom! Out of action. The man is in gaol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2q1Q070U8Q
Screw

Re: Man Arrested For Shooting Drone...

Postby phill » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:01 pm

so sunbathing / baking on a beach in full view of everyone is ok
but if you are doing the same thing at home and someone sees you do it they are a pervert ?

the hint deliberate or otherwise was that she was naked .. if you are outside naked in front of your father how could you care who sees you

i personalty doubt she was either naked or concerned .. just the over hyped father thought he had an excuse to show off his shooting prowess
whether the daughter was afraid or not
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Screw » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Not the point Phil. Can't fly a drone over some-ones property without permission.

Shooting it with a Glock is foolish but. Where did the bullet land?

I have shot down a drone flying over my patch without permission. Out with the shotgun and boom, a cloud of plastic and bits raining down.
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:41 pm

The property permission aspect of NZ's drone rules is crap and needs addressing.

According to CAA's regulations, you can't fly a drone over *any* property without the prior permission of the property owner.

Why?

You can fly a C172 or an R22 helicopter over property without permission and if/when that manned aircraft falls from the sky unexpectedly, it can kill plenty of folk (including the pilot, passenger and people on the ground (example).

What's more, get yourself a decent DSLR and if you're onboard that plane or helicopter, you can get all the pictures and video of the neighbour in her birthday suit that you want -- whilst flying 100% legally in your C172, R22 or whatever.

So why is it that only drones need "property permission" to fly?

I think most of us can work that one out, and it has nothing to do with safety.

The CAA drone rules need to be change to produce a more balanced outcome. They should read that permission is required to fly over land where people, cars or buildings are present. That would meet the "safety" aspects and the privacy aspects -- but remove an onerous burden that most drone-users simply ignore anyway.

Now Screw, if you did shoot down a drone (which is now officially an "aircraft" under CAA's definitions), you could face a very stiff fine or term of imprisonment because under the Act, it is illegal to interfere with an aircraft or aircraft system.

Why not just get a decent laser pointer and wreck the drone's camera. Far more satisfying and safer for all concerned ;-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:45 pm

partly agree with you screw

but there are as far as i know .. no minimum heights you can use as a transit zone
i also cant see any regs where you can go along the streets to point b
gaining permission from all house owners from a-b is impracticable
so at least a minimum height is warranted

im part way through setting up a security drone route .. as many here have asked me to look in on their place while they are away and its not always convenient for me to do on foot

i can get over permission or not by charging a dollar a week to become a shareholder in my drone .. so there will be no comeback on whether i can fly over their section .. by paying you are giving that permission and by becoming a shareholder .. im not charging for it ... and therefore bringing in that stupid part of the regs

however
getting from point a to point b/c/d/e/f and keep everyone as well as the current regs happy .. is the problem

i have a feeling it will be mostly roads and empty sections / vacant land
if there was a minimum height transit corridor i would use it
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Phil, whether you're doing something "commercially" or not has no bearing on the legal position with respect to property permission.

Also, you will need to keep the drone within your visual line of sight at all times when it is flying. You can't just let it disappear off and control it through the camera or via a pre-programmed set of waypoints.

Note also that you are not allowed to fly over roads (even simply to transit from one side to the other). In fact, I had a commercially certified operator telling me the other day that there was a road through the farm they were surveying and in order to transit from one side to the other they had to actually land and carry the drone across the road by hand, before taking off again.

Lunacy!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:36 pm

i would think permission from the owner is implicit if they choose to pay a dollar a week for the benefit of being a share holder in said drone
stop paying no more permission no more drone
that just covers the permission of the house i am checking .. not the neighbours or anyone else's

luckily i live on the highest point of the highest hump around here
the drone will always be within visual sight ... albeit at times it may be .. that little speck over there

no doubt i will fall foul of some of the regs some of the time
tough for them .. heres a hanky .. next time dont just cut n paste some other countries stupidity

my only real concern is not falling foul of the people that live here .. so i will go out of my way to avoid being over any people or properties not involved
( call that responsible use )
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:41 pm

I tell you what'll really be interesting... when CAA are forced (by Airways, NZALPA and political pressure) to introduce registration for RC model fliers -- even though they've acknowledged that it is totally ineffective and a waste of their precious resources.

What are they going to do when Mr Simpson refuses to register?

Are they going to arrest me and throw me in jail for daring to enjoy my life-long, super-safe hobby without a permit?

Are they going to suggest that somehow, even though I've been 100% safe for the past 60 years, the actions of *others* will now mean that without submitting myself to the registration process, I will suddenly become such a danger that I must be punished by law?

I'm sure the media will love this one ;-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:46 pm

i just got permission from a local land owner to use a disused site for flying rc model fixed wings
thats enough permission for me .. its big enough that i can stay inside its boundaries no problem
phill

Postby Screw » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Now Screw, if you did shoot down a drone (which is now officially an "aircraft" under CAA's definitions), you could face a very stiff fine or term of imprisonment because under the Act, it is illegal to interfere with an aircraft or aircraft system.

Why not just get a decent laser pointer and wreck the drone's camera. Far more satisfying and safer for all concerned ;-)

That was at the time when drones were un-regulated Bruce. The operators were flying it around the house and peering into the windows which upset me missus no end.

For the final point you made, it was expediency. I have a shotgun but didn't have a laser pointer!
Screw

Return to General News Discussion