SWDC does it again

Discussions about anything in the news

SWDC does it again

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:27 pm

What is it they say... "Once is an honest mistake, twice is incompetence, three times is an agenda".

Well on three occasions recently, I've tried to organise activities that would bring visitors (and their wallets) to Tokoroa -- to its airfield to be exact.

On the first occasion, I spent a lot of time preparing our drone-racing track -- mowing grass and setting up gates and poles to mark out the course. A couple of weeks before Christmas I found a big articulated trailer parked across the track so I contacted the council and asked them to move it -- because I was expecting a number of drone-racing types to stop in just after Christmas and use the track. The SWDC *assured* me that the trailer would be gone the weekend before Christmas. It wasn't -- in fact it wasn't moved until more than a week later -- long after the opportunity had passed -- so I canceled the invitation to those who would have come. That's "once".

Back in November of 2018 I booked the airfield for the weekend of the 9/10 of February as an opportunity to attract model-fliers and visitors from around NZ and around the world. They could come on that weekend, have a fly and then stay on a few days to watch the large three-day jet meeting that takes place at the end of that week. The booking was accepted and confirmed. Then, a couple of weeks ago (just a few weeks out from the planned event) the SWDC emailed me to say that my booking had been cancelled and that a drag racing event would be held on that weekend instead. That's "twice".

So this coming weekend was also booked (back in November) because it has Auckland aniversary day on the Monday and we figured we could attract people to stay and have a good 3-day fly. Imagine my consternation therefore when I got an email yesterday from the SWDC demanding safety plans (already submitted), CAA approval (already submitted), proof of insurance (already submitted) and a raft of other information that they already have. I told them "you already have this information and the copies you have are still relevant because nothing has changed". I was told, no, you'll have to resubmit everything. Obviously, with just a few days to go and with the SWDC's agenda now *VERY* clear in respect to my using our airfield as a method of bringing visitors (and their wallets) to the town, there's no way I'm going to say to people "come this weekend" when the council are as likely to say "we didn't have time to process thos documents" or "sorry, the person who does that is away until next week" and thus have all those people come (often a quite long distance) for nothing. "That's three times" in less than a month I've been ankle-tapped.

The irony of this is that we're talking about the same council which cries long and hard that they must do something to bring visitors to the town -- and had in fact proposed to spend $4 million renovating the front of town to give it a "wow factor" that would force traffic to turn off SH1 and buy fridges, washing machines and TV sets from local retailers".

I know that most councils are pretty bad... but can anyone think of a council that is more disingenuous or ridiculous than this one?

Unbelievable!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: SWDC does it again

Postby phill » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pm

i visited my uncle in putaruru over xmas
we stopped in the unholy vehicle mess that is tirau ( strange sheds selling stranger stuff i cant see the most desperate tourist wanting )
stoping it feeling like a tourists leach pool might be a start to addressing some of its problems
putaruru was like some hodge podge of bad planning ideas ( maybe it was just a temporary movie set for .. how not to plan a township )
if i was a rate payer in that area i would likely become involved in local council meetings quite a bit .. there is no way i could stop myself after seeing some of what you have to put up with
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Return to General News Discussion