3 more years? NZ is very clearly demented

Discussions about anything in the news

Re: 3 more years? NZ is very clearly demented

Postby enerider » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Screw wrote:I scanned this from the local rag! Posted in toto.

<insert wall of text here>

Yep, that does sum up things as they stand. The likely losers of the upcoming changes had a shot at preventing those changes, and did not take it.

One reason a person I know did not vote: because the party they voted for the first time they voted didn't win! The monumental idiocy of this reasoning made me despair! It is also quite likely that this reason is shared by many others of a similar frame of mind: "Why bother voting when I don't get what I want?" :sad:

I think in order to get the populace to fully comprehend the folly of this manner of thinking is going to require a monumental amount of educational effort to maybe, just maybe, get them to comprehend the fact that by not voting, they're making the politicians' (plural, all camps, all sides) life easier as they have to effectively win over fewer people than would otherwise be the case with 100% voter turnout.

Not voting makes it easier for power-thirsty groups to get into power.
enerider

Postby Screw » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:24 pm

Yeah Rider. As a professional Windbag, I talk to many people of all different stratas of society, the very rich Cockies to the un-employed. The ones that said that they weren't bothering to vote were the low incomers and beneficiaries. Simply because there is nothing in voting for them. Nothing changes except they get poorer and costs increase all the time.
Screw

Postby RoddyAxn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:46 am

I was advised to upload a photo to Flickr and then post the URL.

Here it is
https://www.flickr.com/gp/62166877@N02/n005g5

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant" - Maximilian Robespierre
RoddyAxn

Previous

Return to General News Discussion