ISIPE...

Discussions about anything in the news

ISIPE...

Postby Screw » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:26 pm

No it's not a nasty urinary tract infection but a worldwide group of Economic Students who are pissed off with the very narrow Economics Curriculum that the Universities are teaching (Friedman) and want changes made.

What has prompted this revolt? The student protesters have noticed an obvious fact that seems to have eluded the wider economics profession. The economics that failed to foresee, much less understand, the Global Financial Crisis and the ensuing recession – the worst since the 1930s – is still being taught in our universities; students find it hard to believe that, despite those failures, the content of their courses has not changed in any way since 2008.

Here.
Screw

Re: ISIPE...

Postby enerider » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:50 am

About time. :mrgreen:
enerider

Postby Screw » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Aye Rider but there is no Kiwi's in it mate! :( :o
Screw

Postby enerider » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:58 am

Because who cares about economics? I have a dairy farm to profit from! :mrgreen:

Some of the simpler aspects of economic theory e.g. supply and demand stand to reason, but some of the other things in the Keynesian view are seemingly based in a fairy-land of ever-increasing growth. I call this a fairy-land, purely because nothing seems to register the fact that we have a finite amount of planet - most of which is scary ocean.

Thus why crashes were not predicted. Economics was described as a car without a window at the front. Economics apparently only ever looks backwards at what has happened before. Although if they were truly looking backwards, surely they should have noticed the pattern of boom and bust? That's the trouble with working to a theory: reality walks in with a large sledgehammer and a happy face.
enerider

Postby Screw » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:06 pm

As usual you dribbled a bib full again Rider! The Economists drive by looking in the rear view mirror! Then wonder why they crash! :?
Screw

Postby enerider » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:39 am

Well, this could be one of many reasons I never did very well with Economic theory :mrgreen:

But I remember the important (fundamental) bits!
enerider

Return to General News Discussion