GM Apples in our supermarkets?

Discussions about anything in the news

GM Apples in our supermarkets?

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:09 am

When I was diagnosed with Parkinson's I figured I'd do whatever it took to slow the progression of the disease.

Lots of research indicated a number of things that may be within a person's control and which may have an effect -- most of them related to diet.

So, I have a pretty controlled diet these days, with a focus on maintaining healthy bood-sugar levels and promoting healthy gut flora.

One of my dietary staples is "an apple a day" so for most of the year I eat good, nutritious Kiwi-grown Granny Smith apples. With a reduced sense of taste the tartness of these apples provides some much needed sensory feedback.

At this time of year, NZ-grown apples are not available so the supermarkets are filled with US-grown variants.

I have been buying and eating the US-grown Granny Smith apples and I'm not particularly impressed with either the taste or the texture but least impressive of all is the fact that they are also seedless.

I kid you not... there are no pips in these apples!

How the hell do they achieve this unless it's by way of GM?

And why would they produce "sterile" culitivars -- if not to simply make it impossible for people to grow the fruit from the seed of its fruit?

Roll on late march, when locally grown fruit is once again available.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to General News Discussion