Oh FFS!

Discussions about anything in the news

Oh FFS!

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Yes, those who are always looking out for something to be offended by have found something:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/11913946 ... emic-lasts

How the hell is this racist? Seriously... the coronavirus is race-agnostic. Professional snowflakes looking to make a noise.

Sigh!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Oh FFS!

Postby Malcolm » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 am

Maybe not racist but certainly in poor taste. I can see why Lion doesn't want their brand associated with it.
Malcolm

Re: Oh FFS!

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:26 am

This is a very interesting situation... I see people bitterly upset that some folks are making jokes about the coronavirus.

My perspective is: do these jokes in any way affect the lethality, spread or effectiveness of the coronavirus as a pathogen?

No they don't.

So far, fewer people have died of this virus than die each week on US roads or from gunshot wounds in the USA each week.

What must be appreciated is that people cope with stress and fear in different ways and we must not castigate someone because their response is not our response.

For example... when I was diagnosed with parkinson's I decided to take as light-hearted approach as possible. Many people get severely depressed at what seems like a gloomy future of gradual decay then death -- I've opted to look on the bright side for as long as I can. In fact, I'm thinking of starting another YouTube channel called "What's Shakin?" in which I'll keep a kind of diary of my progress/decline for the benefit of others who might be facing the same future with great trepidation.

Yeah... I make a joke of something as serious as Parkinson's, a disease that disables and eventually kills a pretty sizeable chunk of the world's population these days.

Does this make me a bad person?

How does this differ from someone making a joke about coronavirus?

Or do you have to be a victim of an affliction before you can joke about it... kind of like ony Billy-T could tell jokes about Maoris without getting into trouble?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to General News Discussion