Best ISPs for new unlimited data plans

Discussions about anything in the news

Best ISPs for new unlimited data plans

Postby ukoda » Sat May 10, 2014 2:28 pm

There has been a recent rush of ISPs offering unlimited data plans. I recall the old forums had a discussion about ISPs, before the unlimited plans were common, so hopefully this is not too 'off topic'.

Having recently returned to NZ, having enjoyed a couple years with not data-caps I was pleased to see many ISPs advertising unlimited data plans. I was wondering if any readers have experience with them. I notice some have weird restrictions, the most bizarre so far is Compass with these conditions:
54. You are not permitted to operate servers from the service and you are not permitted to on-sell this service without written approval from us. You are not permitted to send spam or bulk mail using the service and we reserve the right to charge you a clean-up fee to rectify the result of such activity by you at a maximum charge of $200 per article.

55. Your service may be automatically disconnected after 3 hours of continuous use or after 15 minutes of usage being idle. If you establish a continuous dial-up modem facility that operates upon disconnection, you may have your account terminated. If you establish multiple simultaneous connections you may be charged for each connection or have your account terminated.

A few have a policy that the top 5% data users are liable for trouble such as disconnection, I guess when they disconnect the last customer for using 100% of the data they close up shop.

I do have the added complication that I want to have a static IP address, something not talked about in the normal plans.
ukoda

Re: Best ISPs for new unlimited data plans

Postby Malcolm » Mon May 12, 2014 10:13 am

I can't think of any ISP who currently offers a static IP with their unlimited plans. Orcon offers one on their other residential plans and are considering it for the unlimited. According to what a rep from there posted on the Geekzone forums there is no technical reason not to, just some internal desire to differentiate the plans.
He did point out that while they don't have fixed IPs he described what they had was sticky IPs, in that it was very unlikely your IP would change unless you disconnected long enough for the lease to drop out of theserver or changed your router.
Malcolm

Postby Screw » Tue May 13, 2014 4:28 pm

I have 5Tb/month and I haven't managed to use all that up yet!
Screw

Postby Greg » Wed May 14, 2014 6:02 pm

Personally I wish all ISPs' abolished unlimited plans (or charge a much higher premium) - too many users on these plans are hogs who, I believe, strangle the bandwidth from the rest of us 'normal' users.
Greg

Postby Malcolm » Thu May 15, 2014 10:54 am

Most ISPs put the unlimited users in a seperate bandwidth pool to the regular users so that isn't the issue. They also use traffic management and caching etc to save on bandwidth. They do this for all users but are most aggressive with ones in the unlimited plans.
Malcolm

Postby ukoda » Tue May 20, 2014 11:10 pm

10 days ago I contacted all ISPs offering unlimited Internet data plans asking the price with a static IP address. This is a summary of the replies, in order they were received:
  • Slingshot - $99 with prioritised traffic.
  • Woosh - No price given.
  • Orcon - $125.35 ADSL, $136.85 VDSL.
  • Telecom - Not available.
  • Vodafone - Sent two email with no information. Still waiting for an answer.
So it would appear Slingshot is the best value, but Orcon the better performance offering. The rest don't appear to want my money.

I found an interesting discussion at http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?fo ... cid=143956 where I have also posted these results.
ukoda

Return to General News Discussion