The glob al Ebola roll-out?

Discussions about anything in the news

The glob al Ebola roll-out?

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:31 am

Ebola breaks new barrier
A Spanish nurse who treated a priest for Ebola he contracted in Sierra Leone is now sick too - making it the first reported case of transmission outside Africa.

Hmmm... if this thing mutates to develop an ability to infect via airborne particles/droplets then things could get *very* bad very quickly.

But never mind, we've got a war against terror to fight -- who cares if millions die of Ebola in the streets. Let's invest in guns and rockets, not healthcare and biocontainment facilities :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The glob al Ebola roll-out?

Postby Malcolm » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:30 am

Virologists are saying it is highly unlikely to become truly airborne. Apparently droplet transmission is possible, but they don't stay in the air very long. I think I heard a radius of 3-4m if an infected person sneezes near you. The half life for it outside of a host is also apparently very low (couple of hours) compared to some other viruses. I think Norovirus is 18 hours half life outside of a host and a much larger radius of droplet transmission. Apparently Norovirus makes a good starting point for modelling transmission because they have similar transmission mechanisms involving infected bodily fluids.

The change in the virus which apparently the researchers are afraid of is a drop in the fatality rate. If that happens then the virus has a good chance of gaining a permanent foot hold in the human population without burning itself out quickly like it had in the past.
Malcolm

Re: The glob al Ebola roll-out?

Postby Screw » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:51 pm

The purpose of any virus is to reproduce not kill it's host. Generally when the host dies the virus dies with them.

I recall back in the 1970's AID's was going to be the end of humanity, guess what? We're still here! HIV is a hard virus to catch and is transmitted by body fluids so is Ebola. I doubt that it will ever be spread by aerosols but it's a possibility.
Screw

Return to General News Discussion