Drones in the spotlight at symposium

Discussions about anything in the news

Postby phill » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:11 am

Pilots are highlighting the issue of drones ahead of a symposium on their increasing use.

16 January 2015

The soaring use of drones is alarming the New Zealand Air Line Pilots Association.

Members of the association are attending a symposium on unmanned aerial vehicles, or drones, being run by the Royal Aeronautical Society in Masterton this weekend.

Ahead of the symposium the association is warning of the risk drones pose to aircraft.

"Drones are set to transform many fields of commerce and their private use is set to soar with their associated commercial benefits set to greatly benefit the economy," said Captain Rob Torenvlied, the association's technical director.

"However, they also have the potential to present a serious hazard to aircraft."

He says the association, which represents 2500 pilots and air traffic controllers, accepts the use of drones is increasing worldwide, but believes they need to be integrated safely into the existing aviation system.

Drones currently operate under rules for model plans but the Civil Aviation Authority is consulting on new rules to integrate them into the aviation system. It's seeking feedback to proposals by January 31.

Drones can be used for a wide range of activities, including scientific research, film and video production and agriculture.

The number of incidents reported to the CAA has gone up from one in 2010 to 12 in 2013 and 15 to November 2014.

from this http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=200323 article

would i be alone in thinking this guy loves his new found headlines and is going to ride the press no matter what the outcome for drone users will be ( aka vested conflicting interest )

pricks and moans may ground my drones
but brains would never shirk me

yayy go bruce
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Re: Drones in the spotlight at symposium

Postby phill » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:20 am

CAA getting tough on drone rule-breakers

Updated 19 minutes ago

Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on Google Plus Share on Reddit Share via email

The Civil Aviation Authority has changed tack and started fining drone users who breach the rules instead of just issuing warnings.

The organisation found the educational approach wasn't working and says a steady number of complaints has forced it to issue fines of up to $2000.
A seagull chases the TV drone on the second day of the second test beween NZ and Sri Lanka on 4 January.

A TV drone used during the second test beween NZ and Sri Lanka on 4 January drew the attention of a seagull.

Photo: PHOTOSPORT Image

Aviation companies are meeting in Masterton to discuss the growing use of the unmanned aerial vehicles, their safety, and how drones can be integrated into the existing aviation system.

Civil Aviation director Graeme Harris said current regulations are not sufficent and the authority had a set of draft rules for drones out for public consultation with submissions closing at the end of the month.

He said the drone industry was growing rapidly and New Zealand had a chance to be a world leader in drone safety.
Related

Pilots call for stricter drone rules
A game for the birds
Seagulls attack drone at cricket
No plans to buy drones - NZDF
Better communication urged over drones
CAA to tighten use of drones

Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on Google Plus Share on Reddit Share via email

from this article

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/ ... e-breakers
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:48 pm

phill wrote:would i be alone in thinking this guy loves his new found headlines and is going to ride the press no matter what the outcome for drone users will be ( aka vested conflicting interest )

Exactly... who has the most to lose from the increased use of unmanned aerial systems?

Pilots... especially commercial pilots.

Therefore, just as those who traded in horses were horrified at the dangers of the automobile (to the extent that they demanded a man with a red-flag walk ahead of them), so it will be that commercial pilots will fight tooth and nail to hold on to their chosen vocation, in spite of the writing so clearly on the wall.

All the hoo-ha over safety seems somewhat stupid if you were to ask anyone:

"Which would you prefer to have fall on you or your house...
1. a 1 tonne helicopter or aircraft
2. a 1Kg 'drone'"

So why are authorities acting as if *every* unmanned aircraft poses a huge risk to human life and property?

How many people have died as a result of accidents involving consumer "drones"?

How many people have died as a result of accidents involving full-sized aircraft?

So the problem here is not one of risk... it's one of perception, being very carefully manipulated for political and commercial purposes, rather than for reasons of mitigating a real risk.

Sure, there must be some degree of regulation -- but I fear that, as is usually the case, the regulations will be made with a view to apportioning blame rather than preventing bad things from happening in the first place.

As the first-hand recipient of CAA's willingness to put politics before safety, I can attest to the fact that this organisation is not afraid to protect its "friends" and punish anyone who would pose a challenge to them.

Thus, I have very little confidence that CAA's new regulations will be effective in reducing the (already small) risks associated with UAS use -- however, they will be a great tool for dealing with anyone who criticises them or their mates.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:07 am

I use a drone over my property to keep an eye on what's happening. I can hover it down close to the plants and see if they need water or fertiliser.

Because I am on the Airport flightpath here, I get a text message from Airtraffic Control when there will be planes coming or going over this patch of paradise. But my drone never flies high enough to be a problem for them.
Screw

Return to General News Discussion