Just a little update to the Tokoroa Airfield saga

Discussions about anything in the news

Just a little update to the Tokoroa Airfield saga

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:50 am

I've posted a video regarding the status of the Tokoroa airfield and attempts to get a model park started there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1VfdLiZMFU

doesn't this really show how ludicrous town councils can be?

No wonder this town is performing so poorly in terms of its economic indicators.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Just a little update to the Tokoroa Airfield saga

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:27 pm

Oh the irony, the SWDC is promoting an RC jet event at the airfield next month, whilst also denying the opportunity to create an international tourist attraction from the hobby at that venue.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthWaikatoDi ... l/timeline
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:28 pm

hmm model flying at tok airfield .... sounds like a good idea to me
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:31 pm

phill wrote:hmm model flying at tok airfield .... sounds like a good idea to me

Only if you're well-connected, part of the GOM brotherhood ;-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:24 am

Ashburton Air Field is much more amenable Bruce, so it the CCDC. They actively encourage new enterprises there. Bit far to commute but!
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:33 am

Unfortunately Screw, CAA say that I'm obviously not proficient or knowledgable enough to fly an RC model at/near an airfield so regardless of what the airfield owner might want or think, they wouldn't be able to allow me to (legally) fly there.

Of course the fact that I have an impeccable flying record, have earned the world-wide respect of the RC flying community thanks to my tutorials and reviews, am used by a growing number of RC model companies as a highly sought-after independent consultant on RC products, write regular columns for overseas RC model flying magazines and have a combined YouTube audience of over 175,000 subscribers counts for nothing.

It seems that the key criteria for qualifying for your RC model flying "wings" in NZ is a willingness to suck up to a bunch of grumpy old cocoa drinkers in a position of power and ignore their hypocrisy and 1960's attitudes to a hobby that has become very, very hi-tech in recent years.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:24 pm

Just to show you how biased and prejudiced the local council is...

Here is the agenda for a meeting that was held last week to discuss the future of the airfield here:

http://www.southwaikato.govt.nz/our-cou ... PUBLIC.pdf

You will notice that although there are virtually *no* other prospects for economic use of the airfield, absolutely *NO* mention was made of the model-park initiative. It is somewhat telling that one of the leading options they've come up with is to buy out all the leases on the hangars, strip it back to bare land and sell it to the highest bidder -- that's how little confidence they have in its future as an airfield.

It seems that the council are bound and determined to completely ignore the model-park initiative, despite the overwhelming level of world-wide support (including financial) for it and the proven benefits that it would bring to this small town in steep decline.

What a tragic bunch of losers our council is :-( So sad.

Are there any other small NZ towns that could do with a huge tourism boost and who understand the power of social media as a promotional tool for promoting their districts I wonder?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Fcku knows how big that download was. 60 odd pages must've been over 30MB.

Get out of there Bruce. They're going to sell it. They'll have a buyer lined up already - probably a jet model flyer. This is a tick the boxes exercise to show the people that due process has been followed.
goosemoose

Postby Screw » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:20 pm

I got 29.6Mb Goosey so you weren't too far out and I agree, Bruce needs to get out of Tok.

I understand the various issues you have to deal with Bruce but you'll never get anywhere there mate. I suggested Ashburton earlier because they are actively wanting options for using the Air Field there. Currently it's used by the local Aeroclub and the local Glider club. The prob. with not being allowed to fly is easily got around but I will leave that up to you. As far as I can find out, there is no model club there either, so there's an option.

The Central Cant. District Council is actively seeking new enterprises in their patch and what you plan is going to fit in with their plan for the future.
Screw

Postby goosemoose » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:25 am

Not just Ashburton Screw, there's heaps of them around the place.

http://www.aip.net.nz/NavWalk.aspx?section=CHARTS

Probably a few unlisted ones too.

I reckon they scanned that PDF from the document direct from the typing pool. 30MB is huge for a 50 page mostly text document.
goosemoose

Next

Return to General News Discussion