Just a little update to the Tokoroa Airfield saga

Discussions about anything in the news

Re: Just a little update to the Tokoroa Airfield saga

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:13 pm

goosemoose wrote: Where does it say in the regulations that this is the case? Policy maybe. Policy is bullshit. Not legal.

Sadly, here is what the regulations (CAA101) say:

Subpart E — Model Aircraft

101.205 Aerodromes
(a) With the exception of a control line model aircraft, a person must not operate a model aircraft on or within 4 km of—

(3) any aerodrome, unless—
(i)(ii) the person is the holder of, or is under the direct supervision of the holder of, a pilot qualification issued by a model aircraft association approved by the Director;

or

the person is under the direct supervision of a person appointed to give instruction in the operation of radio controlled model aircraft by a model aircraft association approved by the Director.

And... there is only *one* "model aircraft association" approved by the director which gives them an unchallenged monopoly which they choose to abuse for both political and financial purposes.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:18 pm

so ... was that regulation pre or post membership requirement of mfnz to have the qualification to fly
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:46 pm

This regulation has been in place for several years -- before the MFNZ/Simpson incident - although it was not rigidly enforced until afterwards.

It's worth noting also that in theory, I could fly under the supervision of someone with MFNZ "wings" (according to the regulations) but MFNZ has told members that anyone who flies with me will have their membership canceled and thus, have their wings rendered invalid.

Nice folks those grumpy old men at MFNZ ;-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:22 pm

if i was you i would know where my retirement non discretionary slush fund was coming from ( fun money )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Screw » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:03 pm

So let me summarise: you can stay where you are and slowly go mad as well as losing your income or you can move somewhere else and at least have a fighting chance.

As for the CAA, they CAN NOT just allow one org. to operate under their umbrella, That is illegal!! It doesn't matter what the "Director" says.

Go somewhere and set up another club, the CAA MUST accept it, and then you will be able to carry on your business/hobby. You would be surprised how many members of the MFNZ would cross over to your club and eventually that org. would have to change or disappear.

The alternative is to stay where you are and have nothing happen for you until you die. Your choice!
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Two problems:

1. the CAA is under *no* compulsion to recognise another group. They make the regulations, parliament passes them and that's the law. They are a law unto themselves -- since they've already shown their willingness to give the Minister of Transport the finger in respect to their dealings with me.

2. unfortunately, the wife isn't really going to handle any form of relocation at all well. She has great difficulty coping with change and unfamiliar surroundings -- her ability to adapt has been significantly reduced by her brain injury -- so I'm pretty much trapped in Tok unless I'm prepared to put her through hell.

Here is some other interesting info though, regarding the SWDC's underhand dealing.

The supplementary agenda for the meeting held on January 22 was not published until the day *after* the meeting, thus depriving the public of an opportunity to read the agenda and appear at the meeting with that information in-hand if they'd wanted to.

The issue of the airfield seems to be progressing with unreasonable haste and has been scheduled at a time when many of the stakeholders and public are on holiday and thus not able to be present or have their views represented. Is this a deliberate move?

The agenda deliberately omitted all the initiatives that were either instigated by myself (such as the model park) or would have been related to my activities (the proposal raised by several others and roundly supported at a "stakeholder's meeting in December) that a drone-school be considered at the airfield).

I can not swear to it but I can't help but get a sneaking suspicion that perhaps these things have been deliberately withheld as options from the Council by key members of the council or the bureaucracy -- for some undisclosed reason.

It has been suggested to me that the SWDC may be preparing to "flick the airfield off" to presently undisclosed parties (mates?) for a song and the best way to do this is to ignore the options that would warrant its retention or turn it into a real asset to the community.

If you look closely at the makeup of the council and council staff, there are some who suggest that more than a little nepotism goes on within the halls of power and that not everything is exactly as it should be with regards to the allocation of jobs, scholarships and other "benefits" disbursed by those in the governance and executive.

Small town politics is just as bad (if not worse) than that of central government me thinks.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Anaru » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:34 pm

If I were you Bruce, I'd get the SAA technology to a stage of proof of concept, formulate a 12 to 24 month contract with a notable aerospace company that consists of a salary and their leasing and management of the entire airfield (looking at the council's numbers, they'd probably be happy with getting $45,000 a year and all is status quo for existing tenants). In that time, develop the technology to the point that there is enough IP to pass onto said aerospace company, retain a share of it (even if it were only 10%) plus an advisory-role type contract. A lump sum of capital will more than likely eventuate plus a steady cash-flow, then obtain a loan and buy the airfield, build a house on it and live happily ever after at your own model park.

An alternative I think is achievable would be to secure some funding yourself, lease the airfield from the council and de-register it, then establish an online business selling hobby related stuff and use your existing audience to support and grow the business. That business would then more than cover the shortfall in revenue from hangar leases and the like and enable you to have a good income and a huge asset for that business ("buy a plane and come and fly it an airfield"). The only problem with this is that the council probably wouldn't be interested unless it was a 5 year lease, looking at the existing shortfall I think the worst case scenario is if the business didn't take off then you'd probably be in for 15k x 5 (to break or hold the lease).

Or just move your hangar onto a farm somewhere close to Tokoroa.
Anaru

Postby Screw » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:33 pm

Bruce, you have been having this hassle with the Powers-that-be for some years and nothing has changed!! Nothing is ever going to change for you in the future either.

I also understand the position you have with your wife too. I mentioned that earlier as a separate issue that has to be taken into consideration. Now the CAA is a Govt. Dept. and is governed by the same rules as all other Depts. are. They can not have one org. and block another. That is ILLEGAL! If they are screwing the Minister than it's up to the PM to sort that out. If he doesn't go to the Opposition and all of other parties and scream in their ears, stamp, roar, make a hell of a noise until you get a hearing.

Start your own club, you would need to do it somewhere else and your club does not have to be affiliated with the MFNZ. There is NO LAW that forces you to do so! No club or org. has to affiliate with any other club or org. The CAA issues you with your 'Wings' and they can't refuse you if you have passed the required tests. ONLY A COURT HAS THAT POWER! So challenge them to take you to Court and let the Judge decide.

Or do nothing and put up with the status quo -- the choice is yours.
Screw

Postby goosemoose » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:09 am

aardvark_admin wrote:[Sadly, here is what the regulations (CAA101) say:

Subpart E — Model Aircraft

101.205 Aerodromes
(a) With the exception of a control line model aircraft, a person must not operate a model aircraft on or within 4 km of—

(3) any aerodrome, unless—
(i)(ii) the person is the holder of, or is under the direct supervision of the holder of, a pilot qualification issued by a model aircraft association approved by the Director;

or

the person is under the direct supervision of a person appointed to give instruction in the operation of radio controlled model aircraft by a model aircraft association approved by the Director.

And... there is only *one* "model aircraft association" approved by the director which gives them an unchallenged monopoly which they choose to abuse for both political and financial purposes.

Now in my experience with govt departments there will be a stack of paperwork that the MFNZ must have gone through to get approval. CAA will have a process. This process will not just be a schmoozy lunch with some mates. Request the procedure to become an approved association. They must give it to you. An official information request will give you the details of how MFNZ became approved. If they don't have a process or procedure then there is something seriously wrong, legally wrong.

Having said all that though I note the wording says "approved" and not certified. In my cheap arse bush lawyer opinion that suggests it should be easier to get approval than certification.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:09 am

But Goosey, "processes" are rife with abuse. I went through the entire "process" required to get a commercial operating authority and then they simply stopped communicating with me and it wasn't until the minister intervened *TWICE* that I then got a formal letter of reply from CAA and a very cheeky footnote that effectively said "return to zero, start again -- and we'll play this game all over -- with the same outcome".

It's like the public consultation process... all they have to do is *consult* and accept submissions -- they do not have to take the blindest bit of notice of those submissions, simply show that they solicited and collected them.

An exercise in futility if they have an agenda.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General News Discussion