Discussions about anything in the news

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Here's some interesting goings-on from Tokoroa.

The "special projects consultant" to the SWDC has suggested that my activities (developing aviation safety technology and bespoke avionics, as well as providing the odd bit of consulting on aerodynamics and engineering to some Kiwi aircraft companies) is "inappropriate" for operation from the airfield.

Is he kidding?

This guy, by his own acknowledgement, has *zero* experience in aviation or related industries -- he's a beancounting bureaucrat.

Apparently, he's all pee'd off because some model fliers have suggested that my 2.4GHz emissions (all RSM compliant) pose a threat to their models.

So let's get it straight...

I'm a long-term airfield resident (and ratepayer) who pays an annual lease for the ground on which his workshop sits and is actively developing aviation-related products and providing aviation-related services with a view to creating jobs and bringing some prosperity to the district.

Yet somehow, I ought to be removed from the airfield so that a group of five or six *visiting*, non-resident RC model fliers (who pay *nothing* to use the airfield, pay no rates and have no leases with the SWDC) should have precedence.

Excuse me?

I wonder how this ties in with the pledges made by councillors to "support local businesses" and "attract new businesses to the district"?

Can you imagine *any* business risking an investment in this district if the local council is prepared to threaten them in this way so that a *tiny* group of itinerant model fliers can fly their planes?

This guy was the Asset Manager for the SWDC until he retired recently -- and was then re-employed under contract as a "consultant".

Tell me this doesn't smell unpleasant :-)
Site Admin

Re: Inappropriate?

Postby Screw » Thu May 15, 2014 10:59 am

The question is 'Does the SWDC represent the ratepayers?' Or does it represent a corporate structure? Councils throughout the country have become quasi-corporations of late.

Re: Inappropriate?

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu May 15, 2014 11:21 am

You could always advice the Council that for them to take advice from an unqualified* consultant in an area that they are (clearly) not competent in opens them up for future legal liabilities. And they wouldn't want that now, would they? :twisted:

Return to General News Discussion