The joke that is broadband and UFB

Discussions about anything in the news

The joke that is broadband and UFB

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:35 pm

I'm getting really pee'd off with broadband.

My ADSL2 connection consistently delivers 10Mbps according to the Spark broadband test but I'm also finding that, come the evening, even 480p YouTube videos are buffering and many websites require constant reloads to get the entire page content displayed.

A couple of other people I've spoken to with UFB connections in this town report similar problems -- despite the fact that *they* have 100Mbps connections.

WTF?

Isn't it about time that Telecom (sorry "Spark") provisioned enough bandwidth to cope with peak-hour demand?

I tried to contact the help desk to report the issue tonight but was told that there'd be a half-hour wait on hold -- so I suspect more than a few other people are equally pissed off with the situation -- and it's not something new. The situation has been worsening for many weeks now -- probably as an increasing number of folk are firing up their shiny new UFB connections and sucking like a possessed baby on the teat that feeds the nation.

I think that, in the interests of "accurate advertising", Spark should rename their service to "Occasional Broadband".

Why the hell would I (or anyone) want to spend money going to fibre when the big bottleneck still seems to be the backhaul and Spark are too tight to actually provision enough bandwidth to make evening use of the internet practical -- let alone enjoyable?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The joke that is broadband and UFB

Postby phill » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:24 pm

you might be interested in this ...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industr ... lix-effect
article
certainly put a halt to any thoughts of me paying for net based tv

i have been using this
http://www.speedtest.net/?test-5
test to nz then san fran to check whats happening
down to .8 down and regulated 1 up at peak now
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Return to General News Discussion