Confessions of an Economic Hitman...

Discussions about anything in the news

Confessions of an Economic Hitman...

Postby Screw » Tue May 19, 2015 6:52 pm

The author discusses his book. I recommend everyone read it. I have a copy here and it make shocking reading. These are the people that John Key works for and not us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... TbdnNgqfs8
Screw

Re: Confessions of an Economic Hitman...

Postby Sam I Am » Thu May 21, 2015 7:42 pm

Well Hi Screw!!!!!

Been a while. Sorry I haven't kept in touch.

I read this book (Confessions...) several years ago and it really resonated with me. BTW, I found a book that you recommended to us on this forum a year or two ago (and bought a copy) but haven't read it yet, something about Threadneedle Street. I will get to it eventually. Thank you for putting me on to it. :)

Have an interesting post for you that I just wrote. Here it is, and I hope others find it thought provoking as well:

As an engineer, my entire professional life revolves around systems of true, honest (consistently reproducible) i.e.: 'real, weights and measures' (such as measures for: distance, volume, tensile strength, weight, time, etcetra.)

Can any of you imagine building a bridge with a 'sliding scale' for the 'length' of a steel beam, the 'volume' of a cubic foot of concrete for the bridges foundation?

In order for humans to precisely comunicate to each other the real size of ANYTHING, there MUST be a system of 'honest weights and measures'. COMPLETE STOP.

Wow, here is another thought, ever heard of the phrase: "Accuracy and Precision" when measuring something? Yeah, that means that when you DEFINE anything, that you get a true, reproducible value. Sorta reminiscent of the whole underlying principal behind what Mankind has defined 'Science' to be - searching for 'Accurate, Precise, and Reproducible results (sound like a system of Honest weights and Measures?).

Well Duuh [not sure how to spell that :)]

Did any of you ever notice how incredibly bizarre it is that the only 'value' of measure in this world (which we use every day) and which we accept on a 'sliding scale' is the value of money itself?

I can only think of three reasons to explain this nonsense:

1) One hell of a sales job for mankind to fall for this nonsense,
2) The sheer stupidity of the average human, or,
3) Unrelenting pressure (i.e. 'ramming it down our throats') from TP#B through history.

Personally, I think the root cause of why we (humans) put up with this crazy sliding scale for the value of money is the result of an unfortunate confluence of all three reasons listed above.

Sincerely,

SAM

BTW Screw, my son is REALLY coming down there (to Dunedin) to study for a semester. He will have a few weeks to travel around after the semester ends in late November. Perhaps if it is convenient he can stop by and look you up. :)

Hope all finds each of you well on this forum.

All my best to you!

Sammy, Dorothy, aka. Me. :)
Sam I Am

Postby phill » Thu May 21, 2015 8:17 pm

its far more screwy than that

money is a concept we imagined into being
we readily accept that this imaginary thing stops us from doing real things we need to do ( personally and as a species )

the only close anology of it is .. ( i was going to try to incorporate the henny penny sky thing but even that is almost rational compared to what we have made money into )
so ok im beaten ... nothing is as stupid as our worship of this imaginary thing and what it has done to us
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Screw » Sat May 23, 2015 9:23 am

Yo' Sammy. Be great to catch up with your son when he's here. Let me know when it's a bit closer and we'll arrange something.
Screw

Postby Screw » Sat May 23, 2015 9:27 am

Yes Phil it is screwy (no pun intended). Money is simply a method of trade and should never be a commodity in it's own right. But then if it wasn't our Johnny would not be the zillionaire that he is.
Screw

Postby mikebartnz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Sam I Am wrote:I can only think of three reasons to explain this nonsense:

1) One hell of a sales job for mankind to fall for this nonsense,
2) The sheer stupidity of the average human, or,
3) Unrelenting pressure (i.e. 'ramming it down our throats') from TP#B through history.

Personally, I think the root cause of why we (humans) put up with this crazy sliding scale for the value of money is the result of an unfortunate confluence of all three reasons listed above.

The reason I give for it is Residual/Fractional Reserve Banking where, say you deposit a thousand in the bank and then that allows the bank to lend ten thousand whereas in the old days before a bank could lend ten thousand they had to have it.
That con was started in the US back in the early 1900's
mikebartnz

Postby Screw » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:11 pm

mikebartnz wrote:The reason I give for it is Residual/Fractional Reserve Banking where, say you deposit a thousand in the bank and then that allows the bank to lend ten thousand whereas in the old days before a bank could lend ten thousand they had to have it.
That con was started in the US back in the early 1900's

Nope, not any more MikeB. The Banks don't need any money at all now, just debts which they refer to as "Assets". And they only need 3% of those assets to operate too.

Example: I go to the bank to borrow $100,000 the bank agrees but that doesn't mean that they deposit a truck load of coin in my account. All it is a agreement that I will pay (in hard cash) the principle and interest in installments over time. So it is simply a debt that should be paid. If I default the bank loses only the interest as the principle doesn't exist and never did. That way Banks can and do create debt endlessly. That is why the "Debt" that Greece supposedly owes never existed in the first place.

It's all smoke and mirrors and has to end badly.
Screw

Postby Screw » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:54 am

Addendum: It was Alan Greenspan who dropped the Fractional System in favour of the Debt-based one.
Screw

Return to General News Discussion