molten salt reactor

Discussions about anything in the news

molten salt reactor

Postby Logan Savage » Sat May 23, 2015 11:04 am

Aardvark's Sci-Tech News was last updated 18 June 2013 so i was delighted when dilbert started a "top tech" column.

The latest one mentions http://www.transatomicpower.com/ who have gone back to the beginning of the nuclear industry to explore another path, the molten salt reactor. The Oak Ridge Molten Salt reactor ran in the 1960s, but everyone jumped on the Light Water Reactor design instead.

Basically the molten salt reactor simmers liquid fuel at atmospheric pressure. It doesn't need rods changing every few years so it produces much less waste than a LWR. It fact it can run on the waste produced by a LWR! And in the event of a power cut the molten salt simply drains into a holding tank and solidifies.
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

This is AWESOME

Postby Logan Savage » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:13 pm

40 views and not a single reply? Really? Ok, let me put it another way...

This is AWESOME!

So what are the main reasons for hating nuclear power? I reckon Sting summed it up nicely when he sang
One day in a nuclear age
They may understand our rage
They build machines that they can't control
And bury the waste in a great big hole

1) They build machines that they can't control.
Imagine a nuclear industry that hadn't had the disasters at Sellafield, Three mile island, Sellafield, Chernobyl, Sellafield, & Fukashima. These all use solid fuel that require active cooling. If something goes wrong and the cooling stops then look out! :shock:

2) And bury the waste in a great big hole
A typical large nuclear reactor produces 25–30 tons of spent fuel per year. it has to go somewhere, but where? The US NRC admits that "at this time there are no facilities for permanent disposal of high-level waste" http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/radwaste.pdf :oops:

Now imagine a reactor that didn't irradiate an entire hemisphere in a power cut, but simply turned itself off safely.
Lets go further and imagine a reactor that didn't produce all that high level waste. Crazy right?
Well while we're imagining, why not wave a magic wand and imagine a reactor that not only doesn't produce all that High Level Waste, but can actually get rid of all the High Level Waste that is currently sitting around waiting to be disposed of.

Sounding pretty good?

Now imagine that this isn't a pie in the sky theory, but that such reactor had been built and run, and was shown to be as safe as claimed. Wouldn't that be almost too good to be true? Is your bullshit dector tingling by now? :roll:

Mine was, so I started investigating further. It turns out that the 1960s Oak Ridge Molten Salt reactor had two insurmountable problems: they couldn't fit one in a submarine and it was no good at producing weapons grade plutonium and uranium for the military. So the project got the chop.

Unbelievable!

Funnily enough, the inability to produce weapons which was such a problem for the 1960's US Goverment could actually turn out to be a major benefit today. Forget trying to derail Iran and N.Korea's nuclear program with the likes of stuxnet, Duqu, and Flame. We could even stop car-bombing their civilian nuclear scientists (who, US? Couldn't be!). Just GIVE them a molten salt reactor and tell them to help themselves. We could even provide them with free waste to use for fuel. After all, we have enough to share around... :lol:
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
Logan Savage

Re: molten salt reactor

Postby phill » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:18 pm

my no reply was not because i disagreed with it
rather more
wow wtf hasnt this been done
i could almost support nz having a reactor with this
almost
fault lines being what they are
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Screw » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:28 am

Likewise Phil. The main reason why it hasn't been done is that it doesn't produce weapon grade plutonium. That is the priority, you see.

Thorium is even better.
Screw

Postby Logan Savage » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:26 pm

So you're saying your replies and the 60 extra views were not a result of my adding 3 exclamation marks, 4 smilies and large red text?
Logan Savage

Postby Screw » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:03 pm

Yup!
Screw

Postby phill » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:55 am

Screw wrote:Likewise Phil. The main reason why it hasn't been done is that it doesn't produce weapon grade plutonium

i thought they had ( 6 X ) enough of that now

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Logan Savage » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:39 pm

The molten salt reactor was designed with thorium in mind. A good neutron economy makes the MSR attractive for the neutron poor thorium fuel cycle. However even in a MSR a thorium cycle still needs a kickstart from uranium or plutonium. But making weapons was the flavour of the day, not getting rid of them! So Alvin Weinberg, the director of Oak Ridge National Laboratory, was fired by Nixon because he continued to advocate molten salt reactors and increased nuclear safety. I read once that he was told if he was that concerned about safety he shouldn't be in the nuclear industry. :roll:

Meanwhile Chinese scientists have been urged to develop new thorium nuclear reactors by 2024, not the 2039 they were given originally!

Logan Savage

Postby Jetboy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:31 pm

been there done that. if this stuff was so good Airbus would be flying it now.
http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/20 ... craft.html
Jetboy

Postby phill » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:00 pm

hmm
rather than using the hot air i would be more inclined nowadays to use straight electrical generation to power electric wing mounted turbo fans
the rest seems doable but dont expect to be able to fly over many land masses
which might make nz a favorable test bed for such things
dam ... cheap fast transport from me to aliexpress .. oops i mean nz to china .. just imagine the benefits

just finding something to deal with
https://news.yahoo.com/moment-truth-nea ... nance.html
these problems would be a bonus

phill

Next

Return to General News Discussion