molten salt reactor

Discussions about anything in the news

Re: molten salt reactor

Postby Jetboy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:11 pm

Airbus already onto the electric fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfBfZJBQH_I
yep the Russians allegdley already flew their open cycle nuke powered plane - but it was only tactically clean when flying over enemy territory
Jetboy

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:05 pm

I heard tell that the man who developed the idea at the outset, was absolutely chagrined that the industry did not follow his lead and develop this form of energy instead of the path that was chosen.

Reminds me of the renown battle between Tesla and Edison, with JP Morgan in the mix. Where Tesla wanted to generate and transmit energy through the air so that the distribution would be FREE and a true benefit to the public. JP was going to have none of that. He fought hard to insure that the distribution would be metered and paid for dearly.

I remember also something about a spontaneous fire that erupted in Tesla's lab within weeks before he was going to hold a public demonstration of his amazing innovation of free electrical distribution through the air.

What a coincidence... if we are to believe in such a thing. :)

CD
Sam I Am

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:08 pm

Another interesting little factoid that this brings to my mind, is the development of nylons in the mid-last century.

The original nylons would not run. So the engineers were directed to change the formula to insure that the nylons would run so that the ladies would be purchasing a constant supply of nylons.

Not exactly the same principal, not done for the same motives anyway, but the end result is spot on...

An inferior product is produced.

Cheers!

Sam I Am
Sam I Am

Postby Logan Savage » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:54 am

Jetboy wrote:been there done that.
Absolutely, this isn't new. it was all ready to go and if they'd gone down that path three mile island, chernobyl and fukashima couldn't have happened.
Jetboy wrote: if this stuff was so good Airbus would be flying it now. http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/20 ... craft.html
I'm not sure how carefully you read the article before you linked to it. It clearly states that it was that good: "All the data collected by these tests showed the program managers that the possibility of using a nuclear power plant to provide an aircraft with unlimited operational range was indeed at their disposal at this time," It then goes on to explain that the problems were primarily not technical but political: "But then the bipolar nature of politics abruptly intervened.". If you read the references linked to in your article they explain the polictical situation in more detail:
http://www.megazone.org/ANP/tech.shtml wrote:Unfortunately the ANP program wasn't very well organized. Instead of trying to develop one aspect of the technology to a working stage the effort was spread out over a number of areas. Part of the problem was that, under the conventional guidelines, the AEC was responsible for reactor development while the Air Force was responsible for development of the remainder of the system. Therefore the project was divided into two parts which needed to work closely together, but these two parts were managed by totally separate entities.
Now personally I think the ANP is bad idea should the plane crash or be shot down, but the failure of the program was not due to the reactor design.

(edit, I found a picture of the NB-36H. Note the Nuclear emblem on the tail.)
Last edited by Logan Savage on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby Logan Savage » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:01 am

Jetboy wrote:yep the Russians allegdley already flew their open cycle nuke powered plane
Another fascinating tidbit in the articles you so kindly provided doesn't agree:
http://www.megazone.org/ANP/politics.shtml wrote:On December 1, 1958, Aviation Week magazine ran an editorial in which it was announced that the Soviets had flown an atomic powered bomber prototype. This was accompanied by sketches, complete with large red stars, and supposed data on the aircraft. Time has shown all of this information to be false. It is likely that someone involved with the ANP program created these rumors to use the public to put pressure on Congress to continue funding the ANP program.
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
Logan Savage

Postby Jetboy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Thanks Logan, there are lots of stories, some perhaps more ficticious. I read somewhere that the Russian tests did irradiate a swath of the ground they flew over, which would be expected with an open cycle operating.
The most plausible reference found today
http://www.aviation-history.com/article ... ombers.htm
Jetboy

Postby Logan Savage » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:59 am

Jetboy wrote:The most plausible reference found today http://www.aviation-history.com/article ... ombers.htm
Ah, Please accept my apologies, I see where I misunderstood. According to that source the Tu-95LAL completed 34 research flights between May and August 1961. However the Aviation Week magazine article in 1958 that claimed they had already flown a nuclear powered bomber was indeed false. So both articles were correct.
Logan Savage

Previous

Return to General News Discussion