The Man himself!

Discussions about anything in the news

The Man himself!

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:28 pm

GSVNoFixedAbode

Re: The Man himself!

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:45 pm

Yeah, shame it was actually raining when they filmed the video bit :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:34 am

Hey, now here's something that really made me laugh...

Model Flying New Zealand have just approved the purchase of a defibrillator for use at the national championships.

OMG... talk about an admission that your membership is aging!

I'm still chuckling, LOL.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:35 am

are you saying ....

each time they pick up a stick they check to see how much weight they can put on the end of it

you open the car bonnet and they still look for something .. anything they can recognize

you see them doing a cool shuffle hustle .. and they tell you they are running

everything is described in feet that pinches or inches or something like that

temperature is given as some strange far and height thing

they hear about unlicensed model flyers getting stoned and look around for rocks

weight somehow goes back to being stoned again

they have 3 times as many spanners and sockets as you .... yet none of them fit
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Wow, I think my assertion that CAA is not doing its job properly because it's failing to educate those affected by the regulatory changes that come into effect in just 6-weeks time is right on the money.

Check the comments on that Stuff article and you'll see that there are those swearing black and blue that I'm wrong about the regulations. These people clearly don't have a clue what's about to happen and will probably keep on flying in public places in total violation of those new regs come August 1.

CAA seem to think that MFNZ are going to do all the hard work for them -- but that's just not going to happen. MFNZ's membership has been static for the past 3-4 years, while the hobby has grown 3-fold. This means that two thirds of those in the hobby have *nothing* to do with MFNZ -- and therefore, nothing MFNZ says to its members will reach these non-affiliated new-entrants to the hobby.

I strongly doubt that CAA has the budget to do a national campaign to advertise these law changes so look out for a whole swathe of "illegal drone flight" news stories -- as people, through ignorance rather than malice -- get pinged for breaking laws they didn't know even existed.

Ignorance of the law is never a defense -- but surely there's a powerful obligation on any regulatory body to ensure that they have publicised important chances so that those affected will be aware of those changes. If not... who's really at fault: those who, through ignorance, are now breaking the law by continuing to fly as they always have -- or CAA, for failing to reasonably promulgate these changes to those who will be affected?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:58 am

http://www.tmart.com/Unicorn-1-Mini-FPV ... 12252.html

probably plenty around cheaper but should be an idea of some ballpark costs

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:39 am

That's a pretty crap setup to be honest. Putting the props on the bottom is a recipe for disaster and there are much better options available at lower costs than that. Most of the "ready-built" offerings are pretty crappy though. They use cheaper parts and are not particularly robust. That's why I did the build video series on my RCModelReviews channel. You can build the craft itself for well under US$200.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:35 am

links please .....

frames .. ( hobbyking ? ) yes .. or ....
motors .. ( hobbyking ? ) yes .. or ...
fpv's ... ( hobbyking .. aliexpress .. banggood .. dhgate ? ) ... c'mon has to be one of those

phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:40 am

Check the description in the first video from this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... SW9mijzuhf
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to General News Discussion