Global mode to be not so global anymore

Discussions about anything in the news

Global mode to be not so global anymore

Postby Joel » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:37 am

Well the big companies have triumphed in their quest to kill global mode, soon I will be left without it and be stuck using the now dodgy Hola vpn or some other quality pay for vpn service to get the content I desire through Netflix.

For more intormation take a look at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11470299

What I have been using for the past few months is Hola Vpn chrome extension but I may be dropping that after a quick read of https://blog.avast.com/2015/06/19/hola-hola-vpn-users-you-may-have-been-part-of-a-botnet/

Does any one have a VPN they could recommend, I am considering paying for the service.
Joel

Re: Global mode to be not so global anymore

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:57 am

Protectionism supported by an out of date legislative system which is focused on preventing innovation and protecting monopolies.

I would call on everyone with a SkyTV subscription to cancel it immediately -- likewise your Lightbox or other third-rate local streaming service.

If Sky etc can't compete solely on the value of their offerings then they deserve to go out of business.

All they've done is (slightly) postpone the inevitable.

What's the next step -- will we see the use of VPNs and proxies made illegal by all those judges and MPs with a pocket full of SkyTV shares they want to protect?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:16 pm

Shame on those ISPs that buckled under the threats of SkyTV etc.

Why the hell didn't they at least try crowdfunding their legal defense? I'd have chipped in a few bucks for that and I'm sure many, many other people would have done the same.

Perhaps this is a *great* opportunity for someone to enter the ISP business with a new Global Mode option. If you're the only game in town, you will have a competitive advantage. Go for crowdfunding to not only get your working capital but also to provide a stash for your legal defense. Remember... for evil to triumph, good men need only do nothing!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:04 pm

Joel wrote:Well the big companies have triumphed in their quest to kill global mode, soon I will be left without it and be stuck using the now dodgy Hola vpn or some other quality pay for vpn service to get the content I desire through Netflix.

For more intormation take a look at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11470299

What I have been using for the past few months is Hola Vpn chrome extension but I may be dropping that after a quick read of https://blog.avast.com/2015/06/19/hola-hola-vpn-users-you-may-have-been-part-of-a-botnet/

Does any one have a VPN they could recommend, I am considering paying for the service.

it was in your own link
i have avast as one of my anti virus programs and have seen the avast ad for installing its proxie program and thought it a reasonable idea ( just not needed for me at this point )
its business is anti virus so they would go to some lengths to distance themselves from any chance of malware installs
if i recall the cost was $11nz a month $80nz a year $120nz 24months which is a little more than standard but probably worth it when you factor in the provider reputation

it has a 7 day free trial
some form of avast antivirus has to be pre installed ( ie the free one is ok )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby Joel » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:29 pm

I will check out avasts offering, price will most likely be the determining factor. Thanks for the suggestion.
Joel

Return to General News Discussion