Media full of crap (again)?

Discussions about anything in the news

Media full of crap (again)?

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:12 am

Fastrack Courier managing director Jason Windhager uses a drone to deliver goods all across Auckland, and at a fraction of the time it would take a van.

"A site 9.9km away, the drone took four-and-a-half minutes. I think a van 20 minutes. I think that speaks volumes about the benefits," he said

From this story on TVNZ: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/scary-p ... ts-6348487

I would be *very* surprised if CAA allowed Fastrack Couriers to fly a drone 9.9Km across an industrial area (which would take it beyond visual line of sight) and if permission wasn't sought, they could be in for a lot of trouble.

Is the media just hyping up crap again -- or are there now two sets of rules for those operating drones -- depending on who you know and how much you pay?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Media full of crap (again)?

Postby Screw » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:01 am

You could bet that commercial operators will get dispensation Bruce. We will see more of this as flying frisbies become more commonplace!
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:04 am

I have emailed CAA with the following:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I read this news report and watched the associated video with great concern:

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/scary-p ... ts-6348487

In particular, I refer to the text I have quoted below:

"Fastrack Courier managing director Jason Windhager uses a drone to deliver goods all across Auckland, and at a fraction of the time it would take a van.

"A site 9.9km away, the drone took four-and-a-half minutes. I think a van 20 minutes. I think that speaks volumes about the benefits," he said"

As far as I am aware, it is not legal to operate an RPAS beyond visual line of sight in New Zealand, especially over a built-up urban/industrial area.

Clearly, since it is acknowledged that driving the 9.9Km in question would take 20 minutes -- yet the drone flight took only four-and-a-half, the craft was not controlled from a pursuit vehicle either.

With concerns regarding the safe and responsible use of these craft at an all-time high, please advise what CAA intends to do:

a) to deal with what appears to be a confession of a very severe breach of CAA regulations

b) to remedy the public's perceptions (as a result of this report) that it is indeed acceptable for these craft to be operated in the manner depicted and described and that doing so produces no censure from CAA.

Regards
Bruce Simpson

My email has been passed to "Rex Kenny, Manager Special Flight Operations & Recreational Aviation" who, I am told, "will respond directly to me".

I will keep readers informed.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:15 am

And the reply...

Good Morning Bruce,
Thanks for taking the time to highlight this concern. Like yourself the CAA was very concerned about the video and NZ Herald article potraying this operation as autonomous and out of line of sight amongst other things.
I conducted the Aviation related concern investigation and the following was established after speaking to the RPAS pilot and his parent company senior staff in the UAS.
1. The flight distance was approx. .6 km
2. The pilot flew from an elevated cherry picker and non assisted visual line of sight was maintained at all times
3. Pilot held MFNZ qualification and and agreement with pikes point airfield operator was gained as the airfield was within 4km
4. Prior permission gained from every property owner under the flight path received
5. flight remained under 400 feet altitude
6. flight conducted out side controlled airspace
As a result flight was fully in accordance with Part 101.
However the company has agreed that the way the video and article were presented has done some damage to the RPAS sector reputation and that they will undertake a different process before relasing such material in the future.
Agreed that this was unfortunate and the opportunity to release a very misleading description of the operation was taken rather than show the extent of the planning and risk mitigation taken which could have been very beneficial.
The investigation has now been closed but I am sure a few lessons have been learned

Regards
Rex Kenny

So either the media or Fastway Couriers were bullshitting!

Clearly, this was *not* a news story produced by journalists -- or the facts would have been checked.

Journalism is *dead* in this country and the media now seems to simply be the mouthpiece of whatever company can come up with a bit of "sizzle" for the 6pm bulletin :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Alexanders » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:28 am

Sometimes there are mistakes in Journalism like BBC announcing Queen... and sometimes there is pure bs and bold titles.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I love to chat about technology, but I'm a marketing dude.
A digital project manager at Web design Christchurch, Alexanders.
Checkout some of my work in our website.
Alexanders

Postby Screw » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:09 pm

Alexanders wrote:Sometimes there are mistakes in Journalism like BBC announcing Queen... and sometimes there is pure bs and bold titles.

Yup. And they never let the truth interfere with a good story either. A la Fox Faux News!
Screw

Postby Logan Savage » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:23 pm

Alexanders wrote:Sometimes there are mistakes in Journalism like BBC announcing Queen...
Ah yes, when Ahmen Khawaja tweeted "Queen Elizabrth has died. @BBCWorld" Modern Journalism at its finest. And yes she spelt it "Elizabrth".
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:31 pm

I emailed TVNZ with a "please explain" in respect to the factual misrepresentations made. I don't expect a reply though.

Maybe others should also mail the One News crew with their concerns as well :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:39 am

aardvark_admin wrote:
Fastrack Courier managing director Jason Windhager uses a drone to deliver goods all across Auckland, and at a fraction of the time it would take a van.

"A site 9.9km away, the drone took four-and-a-half minutes. I think a van 20 minutes. I think that speaks volumes about the benefits," he said

From this story on TVNZ: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/scary-p ... ts-6348487

I would be *very* surprised if CAA allowed Fastrack Couriers to fly a drone 9.9Km across an industrial area (which would take it beyond visual line of sight) and if permission wasn't sought, they could be in for a lot of trouble.

Is the media just hyping up crap again -- or are there now two sets of rules for those operating drones -- depending on who you know and how much you pay?

Put your PR/BS glasses on.

"Across Auckland" - even by going 2 cm, you've still gone across Akl, just not very far.
"9.9KM away" - via the North Shore on a motor bike.
" I think a van 20 minutes" - absolute worst case scenario, with driver stopping for tea.
"I think that speaks volumes about the benefits" - To our "Brand". They've seen Amazon and a whole host of others get on this so he's got his son and his mates to drop a 5G package of crap at the end of the carpark. Got the PR dept to jazz it up and phone up the local reality TV outfit and let them do the rest.
goosemoose

Postby Logan Savage » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:00 pm

I lodged a formal complaint on the grounds that it breached Standard 2: Law and Order by promoing breaking the law and breached Standard 5: Accuracy because the facts had been denied by CAA. I also ficked it to TV3. I'll let you know how I get on
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Next

Return to General News Discussion