Last Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear episode

Discussions about anything in the news

Last Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear episode

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Despite what the NZ Herald is claiming in this story:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=11472907

many tech-savvy Kiwis will have already seen the final episode of Top Gear containing the terrible trio.

It was typical TG fare, entertaining and ridiculous, filled with one-liners such as "many poohs came out my ani" after JC narrowly avoided crashing into a huge drain filled with muddy water.

The fact that traditional broadcasters expect people to wait two weeks (unnecessarily) to watch this stuff spells the reasons for the demise of the traditional broadcasting model on which SkyTV, TVNZ and Mediaworks so heavily rely for their livelihood.

We live in an era of instant gratification so increasingly, people just aren't going to wait for the next episode of their favourite series to be broadcast locally. They'll fire up their PCs, tablets, set-top-boxes, log into their favourite VPN or proxy-server and watch whatever the hell they want, whenever the hell they want.

No amount of sabre-rattling on the part of the broadcasters will do anything but slightly delay that from happening.

RIP broadcast TV.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Last Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear episode

Postby Screw » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:53 pm

TV will still be around for a while Bruce. Peeps who aren't puter savvy will watch their fave Corrosion St or whateva on the box.
Screw

Postby phill » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:44 pm

i may have said it before .. but

why do they get upset at me watching stuff online

free to air gets first pick at my viewing time
but if they choose to cater for the fashion obsessed gossip hungry brain deceased demographic ( i guess they go with what they are most familiar with )
why throw the toys because i choose someone who caters more to my viewing demographic
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby goosemoose » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:30 am

aardvark_admin wrote:RIP broadcast TV.

Except one of the things that could save it is live TV. More expensive? Yeah, nah. There must be heaps of clowns out there, ala Jono and Ben who'd do it for nothing, or even pay to do it. Julie Christie, you heard it here first.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:35 am

Yep, I read with interest that a new broadcaster has purchased all the broadcast rights for the Olypmics throughout Europe for the next few games.

They have obviously realised that the *only* value left in broadcast TV is the coverage of live sporting events.

I wonder how much SkyTV will gamble on the sports rights it now holds when it comes time to renew those rights. I expect the bidding will be fierce and the FTA operators will also be offering far more than they ever have before.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:42 am

all it needs is for tv stations to do what radio stations learnt to do 40 years ago..not trying to chase everyone during peak periods and no one outside them
so
instead of 12 hours of ads followed by 12 hours of programs heavily broken by ads with 2 hours between 7pm and 9pm a competition for the same viewers
how about what we thought you were paid to do
ie
5 or so stations playing 24 hours being

7am - 7pm kids channel .. then teen music till 11pm and adult till 7am
slightly brain dead drama channel for the masses
comedy channel
doco and topical channel
brain deceased reality type tv channel

simple
if a radio station manager knows how to entertain and keep a large demographic and not trying to please all and failing
how about a tv station manager doing the same thing
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:49 am

Another suggestion for broadcast TV would be to replace endless ad-breaks with programme sponsorship -- just as it was in the early days of television.

Of course this would likely reduce revenues (at least in the short term) and require a scaling back of the "executive salaries" and flash buildings but let's face it -- unless you're actually producing content (something most broadcasters are doing less of -- or at least contracting out) then you really don't need a huge, very flash building and acres of "studios" and assets.

The technology cost of being a TV station has fallen incredibly -- even with the transition to HD so a "light and ready to fight" broadcaster who pares back their costs, opts for sponsorship rather than incessant ad-breaks and who has a more open mind as to programming and content might just be able to carve a profitable niche in the market -- while the dinosaurs such as TVNZ, MediaWorks and SkyTV shrivel and die.

Hey, didn't I just describe "community TV" channels like Triangle used to be? Perhaps Triangle had the right idea but was just too early to capitalise on the demise of the big-name broadcasters.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Alexanders » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:03 am

Relating back to a post couple of days ago about online streams and downloads, this is one big trigger to that. 2 freaking weeks? What do they expect specially for a show like TP with such hardcore fans. It's not like BBc told you yesterday that they are airing the episodes and now you need time to get advertisers and increase bids, you had time to do so already
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I love to chat about technology, but I'm a marketing dude.
A digital project manager at Web design Christchurch, Alexanders.
Checkout some of my work in our website.
Alexanders

Postby goosemoose » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:21 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Another suggestion for broadcast TV would be to replace endless ad-breaks with programme sponsorship

But wait there's more!! 6PM News:

"A man wearing Warehouse cotton shirts, $9.99 until Friday, was spotted running from the scene, Upper Hutt, visit while you can, near the Acme Motel $70 a double for a limited time. The victim, wearing $20 Runners Word trainers was stabbed with a full set of Ginsu 2000 knives, unfortunately passers by could not stem the bleeding with Elastoplast so he died.Currently at Smith Funerals where he's getting a nice send off because of his Cigna Funeral plan. Police will investigate once they've finished issuing tickets near the Queensgate Shopping centre, open 8am-9pm everyday."
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Product-placement rulez! :D
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General News Discussion