Martin Aircraft want my money!

Discussions about anything in the news

Martin Aircraft want my money!

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:38 am

I received an email from the Martin Aircraft Company. It seems they're soliciting deposits for their product now, even though delivery is not until "late 2017". To be honest, looking at all the other milestones and delivery dates they've missed, I wouldn't be holding my breath for 2017 -- or at all:

After our most successful launch of the Martin Jetpack at the Paris International Air Show in June we have been flooded with enquiries about how to go about securing a Martin Jetpack.

Our records show that in the past you made a similar enquiry about personal jetpack ownership
and we thought it might be timely to update you on its availability.

As you may be aware from our newsletter updates and recent media coverage, we are currently completing development of a "First Responder" Martin Jetpack. This will be our first fully commercial product for the market. We are not intending this first Martin Jetpack to be for personal recreational use - it is for services such as Search & Rescue and Police.

As soon as we have completed the First Responder Martin Jetpack we plan to start work on downsizing this for the Personal Jetpack which will be available for delivery in late 2017. The price of the personal jetpack has yet to be set but is likely to be around US$150,000. The training and licence requirements will also need to be established with the aviation authorities of each country.

Following up on your earlier enquiry we can confirm that you are now able to secure your place in a priority queue for the Personal Martin Jetpack (once available) by making a deposit of NZ$5,000. Full details of the jetpack deposit scheme is available on request.

If personal jetpack ownership is not a current option for you then please do visit our Martin Aircraft on-line store for Jetpack pilot merchandise and gifts by following this link http://www.shop.martinjetpack.com

You are currently on our general mailing list because you’ve either made an enquiry about jetpack ownership or have expressed interest in working with us. We would be honoured to continue to include you on our general subscriber list meaning you will receive our regular newsletter and press releases.

If you no longer wish to receive these you may unsubscribe from our mailing list by clicking 'unsubscribe' below.

If your on-going interest in Martin Aircraft is of a more commercial nature then please do not hesitate to contact our Sales team at Sales@martinaircraft.co.nz

Best Regards

The Martin Jetpack Team
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Martin Aircraft want my money!

Postby Screw » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:25 pm

You will, of course give them some of your well-earned money Bruce. :lol: :lol:
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:44 pm

Even if I gave them my entire net worth -- they'd still be no better off :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Joel » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Bruce send them a counter proposal and attempt to sell them your small RC jetpack design as they have shown interest in jetpacks.
Joel

Postby Alexanders » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:59 pm

I mentioned this here once before that I met these guys and it was very interesting. It was not supposed to be toy for general public at all and it was only supposed to
be used by emergency personnel or security. What happened?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I love to chat about technology, but I'm a marketing dude.
A digital project manager at Web design Christchurch, Alexanders.
Checkout some of my work in our website.
Alexanders

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Their story changes like the wind.

Remember that it was "launched" at Oshkosh. That airshow is primarily one for aviation enthusiasts and recreational fliers -- so if it was meant for emegency and security applications -- why launch it at Oshkosh. They have pitched this thing as a "personal transport device" right from the get go, only changing their story from time to time when it looked as if some other market niche (such as government, military or UAV users) might be interested.

In short -- they totally lack focus and direction. How much time, effort and money did they waste trying to turn it into an amusement ride by offering the public a chance to fly it in a warehouse somewhere? How much time effort and money have they been wasting trying to create an "unmanned" version when they have still yet to actually finish the original "jetpack" -- by its very definition, a jetpack is something *a person* straps on their back -- not something that flies around by itself.

This project is and always has been, a complete flight of fancy and will be a total commercial disaster.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:54 pm

i just cant see it being much use for responders
it just doesnt do enough to be useful in a way thats not covered already
certainly not for fire fighters .. even a hot shots crew would find it little use for range reasons .. a maybe.. for being able to get out of trouble .. but not for dealing with it and 6 x ~250k for each crew makes for a fair amount of helo time esp after maintenance and training costs ..
mountain sar members flitting to a ridge top for a look around is easier and faster done other ways
medical .. same
doesnt leave much
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:45 pm

Also remember that first responders may have to deal with inclement weather. Would you rather be riding a "jetpack", exposed to the elements -- or in a cosy helicopter -- away from the rain, ice, sleet or dust that may well follow a civil emergency?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Joel » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:38 am

A Dji phantom with a camera would be easier, safer, simpler and cheaper for first responders.

Their jet back is far too big and expensive for a little high up look around, a quad with a decent camera would be far easier and more convenient, not to mention if it crashes due to extreme weather or some other reason its just plastic and metal that is destroy, not jet fuel and a life.
Joel

Return to General News Discussion