CAA's EPIC FAIL!

Discussions about anything in the news

CAA's EPIC FAIL!

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:47 am

I tuned in to watch the live stream of the CAA102 rule announcements this morning, only to be told:

Your operating system is not supported.
Scopia Desktop requires Windows XP Service Pack 2 or above.
Please contact your system administrator for assistance.

WTF?

I'm running Linux Mint and the latest version of Firefox.

Typical CAA... living in the XP era while the rest of us have moved on to "modern" technology.

Outrageous!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: CAA's EPIC FAIL!

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:50 am

So I switch to my Windows machine (Win 7, fully patched) and now I'm told that I have to download and install some client software!

WTF

This typifies CAA's approach to *everything*. "It's our way or the highway" -- you must wind back your clocks 20 years and conform to our standards, regardless of what other benefits (such as HTML5) technology has brought us in the meantime.

Now I'm even more outraged!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Joel » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:33 am

I went to take a look, expecting just youtubes live stream service or another web based service. but once it asked to install some client and make some account I decided not to both installing junk on my work laptop.
Joel

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:39 am

Exactly... Who the hell would risk installing unknown software on their computer when we've seen just what lengths our friendly government's agencies go to in order to spy on us already (and no, I'm *not* kidding). What better way to keep an eye on the activity of those who are obviously going to be affected by the new rules than a little spyware on their computers perhaps? (LOL)

But seriously, in an era when Google/YouTube offer very good "live stream" facilities that work on just about every computing platform known to man, why on earth should anyone be expected to find a Windows machine and install some malware? CAA has an alarming disconnect with the world of technology -- yet they're busy regulating the hell out of it and telling the world how wonderfully they're doing. Sigh!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:30 am

And here my friends is the whole point of the exercise:

15. Fees and Charges

Initial issue:
A minimum charge of two hours at the prevailing standard hourly rate is payable in advance. The charge
is credited towards the total and a final adjustment will be made on completion of certification. The
additional charge is at the prevailing standard hourly rate for the time taken to assess and process the
application. Follow the link for information on fees and charges.

Renewal:
Charge at the prevailing standard hourly rate for the time involved.

Luckily I realised years ago aviation in this country is a greedy, inbred old boys network littered with out of date ideas and people.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:36 am

Yes, and (of course) the fee is non-refundable in the event that they decide you don't qualify for certification -- perhaps because (as I'm sure I would be deemed) you are not a "fit and proper person"

One of the things that disqualifies you as a "fit and proper person" is having an unacceptable attitude to authority -- which undoubtedly means "daring to criticise CAA or any of its diktats" -- hence my instant disqualification.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Fit and Proper Person Assessment Policy
Owner:
GM AIP
Approved: 06/07/2015
Page
The focus of the test is always forward looking. A decision maker is to focus on the likely future conduct of the individual. In making that assessment a decision maker may be informed by previous conduct to predict future behaviour or assess a person’s attitude towards compliance. The assessment cannot however be used in a punitive way or be applied to hold someone to account for past conduct.At entry the onus of proving fit and proper is on the applicant.
At exit the onus of proving not fit and proper is on the Director. Any consideration of exit or the imposition of conditions on a document arising from
potential concerns regarding an individuals FPP status must be carried out in a manner consistent with the CAA Regulatory Operating Mode
l, its supporting Use of Regulatory Tools Policy, and the relevant provisions of the Act, e.g. section 11 relating to the rights of persons
affected by proposed adverse decisions and sections 17 (Power of Director to suspend aviation document or impose conditions) and section 18 (Power to revoke document or impose conditions).Legal advice must be obtained in all such cases.
The CAA Fit & Proper
Person Assessment Handbook provides further details on
these and other requirements.
Fit & Proper Person
Assessment Handbook
The CAA Fit & Proper Person Assessment Handbook provides detailed requirements and
guidance for CAA staff in making FPP assessments.
Matters covered include:

key principles that must be applied to decision making;

exercising good judgment;

procedural steps;

gathering and assessing information for relevance, interpreting and weighting that information; and,

steps to be followed in the advent of an proposed adverse decision.
Definitions
What it means to be ‘fit’
Fitness is about ensuring the applicant:

is physically and mentally fit to perform the privilege being sought;

is competent and able;

has the appropriate qualification, training, experience, and skills needed to perform the responsibilities, functions and duties of the aviation document they want to hold.
Generally a person will be ‘fit’ if they:

can demonstrate that they have the appropriate competence and ability to perform the privilege applied for; and have the necessary skills, knowledge, competence, diligence and soundness of judgment to undertake and fulfil the obligations and responsibilities associated with the privilege being conferred.
What it means to be ‘proper’
Propriety is about a person’s character and personal attributes. It involves an assessment of
a person’s behaviour to consider things such as their:

attitude;

integrity, credibility and honesty;

judgment;

propensity or willingness to disregard the law.Past behaviour is used as an indicator of future behaviour, and matters of propriety.
Recidivist conduct or patterns of behaviour are particularly relevant to any assessment,
because it can aid in assessing whether an applicant has learned from past mistakes, and can provide an insight into the applicant’s likely future conduct.
Behaviour also provides insight in to a person’s attitude and character.
In assessing attitude, it is important to identify any hazardous attitudes or character
attributes. These may present as:

a cavalier or uncaring attitude towards the law and/or compliance;

a willingness to disregard the law;

an antiauthority approach;

impulsiveness;

invulnerability, overconfidence or arrogance;

resignation or a lack of confidence
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Yes, the categories I would almost certainly fail are:

"an antiauthority approach" and "invulnerability, overconfidence or arrogance" which are euphamisms for "he dared to question what we do and how we do it". If you're not into "blind obedience and an acceptance of the obvious wrongs" then CAA is not the agency you should be dealing with :-)

And I love the way that they claim to be dishing out "privilege". Has nobody told them that the air above our heads is an asset which belongs to each and every NZer -- regardless of race, colour, creed, religion or their willingness to speak out when they see power being abused?

What's next -- will walking on the land become a privilege? How about breathing that air?

Seriously, at the rate our rights are being turned into privileges leveraged by the state for their own financial benefit you have to wonder what the world is coming to.

Remember, we're not talking about flying full-sized aircraft here -- we're talking about a hobby that has proven to be one of the safest in the world over many, many decades. To demand that people who want to fly RC models as they have done for this long might need to be "certified" is an outrage.

It's supposedly all about risk -- so how is it any riskier flying an RC model over some empty farmland on August 1st any more dangerous or risky than it has been for the past 50 years or more?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:11 pm

they seem to have forgotten something
its not a pilots license
you cant fly a uav till you have a license
you cant apply for a license till you have been granted fit and proper status
you cant be granted fit and proper status till you have enough experience flying one

can demonstrate that they have the appropriate competence and ability to perform the privilege applied for; and have the necessary skills, knowledge, competence, diligence and soundness of judgment to undertake and fulfil the obligations and responsibilities associated with the privilege being conferred

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby phill » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:14 pm

yup
they dont have to go to far back in my life before they meet the clanger .. does not tolerate authoritarian stupidity well

phill

Next

Return to General News Discussion